gas tank repair or reproduction ?

kens25

My 25 DB has a typical old gas tank with dents,rust inside and old repairs.Is there such a thing as a new reproduction tank available?Or should I disassemble it and rebuild mine and coat the inside?Any suggestions guys? Thanks

I am looking for a fuel guage too

End all doubt, have a new one made out of stainless steel. Look at the time effort and expese of repairing and rebuilding your current one versus having a new one made. The gentleman that I bought my 29 from had a new tank made, but had it made from galvanized material. The tank was rusting from the inside out at all of the weld seams. I had a new one made from stainless, no more worries.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ken: I had a local tinsmith make me a new tank for my '36 Dodge. He made it out of galvanized sheet but rolled and soldered the seams. This eliminates the seam rusting that that follows welding of the metal. He was able to put in the baffles and the retainer ring for the fuel sender. Might be cheaoer than stainless. Good Luck! Jim

Guest imported_woodwheels

Ken and John are 100% correct, reproduction is where your $ is well spent. Give your car the health of clean gas. Gas tank goos inevitably break down and clog whatever is in the passage way, filter, carb, injector etc. My $ went for stainless and 10 years later I am completely satisfied. A tin knocker that is willing and skilled enough to roll galvanized 20 ga. is hard to come by. One mans opinion, do not waste your $ on rehabilitating an tank that leaks and has rust in it,