Need advise on buying 1931 Desoto

Guest NickGC414

Guest NickGC414

Hello I am new to this web site. I am looking at buying a 1931 Desoto modal sa 4 door. The car is local and Im going this week to look at it. It is listed as 95% original, fair condition, runs and drives. The car appears to be solid from pics I have seen. Most of my experence is with muscle cars. What should I look for when I look at the car? What would be a fair ballpark price for the car if it is solid? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Guest martylum

Hi-i have early Desoto and Chrysler cars and would advise you to take along an experienced owner of an early car-Model A owners most plentiful-

These cars are so different from 60-70s cars you won't be able to properly assess what you are looking at due to inexperience.

Since this is your first foray into older cars, Model As are a great deal easier to restore as you can easily source almost all the needed mechanical and cosmetic parts.

Chrysler cars are very nice drivers when properly restored.

Martin Lum

Guest NickGC414

I went and looked at it last night. The car seems to be complete. The body is pretty solid, mostly surface rust with a couple areas that will need new metal welded in. Interior is rough. basically looks like a complete car that has sat for a long time. The car runs and drives, but has a miss. Good tires and glass. The car original cought my attention because its a local guy very motivated to sell. He needs to make room in the garage. I think I could get it for $1500.

$1500 sounds like a good price from what you've described. I have several 1930 & 1931 Dodges which are quite similar. Typical rust areas are the rocker panels and inner rear fender areas. Also, don't be afraid to crawl under the car and check the frame rails along the sides and rear kick-up area to see if these areas look good. Next biggest problem is that Dodges and De Sotos from 1930 & 1931 are hard to find parts for, so be very dilligent in looking to see if car is complete. As far as the miss, that could be many things. First check plugs, wires, etc. Also, change the oil and put in a quart of Rislone engine treatment (blue liquid). I had a panel truck that had a miss, turned out to be a sticky valve. Rislone cleaned it up after running a little while. Let us know what you decide.

Guest NickGC414

I offered him $1500, but I didnt hear back. He was asking 2k OBO so maybe I will offer a little more. I really dont know much about these cars, but for that price im not taking much risk at all.