moulding clips for 56 olds 88 where to buy?

olds88

hello everyone, my 56 olds 4 door post is in the shop getting ready for paint and it is at the stage where i must decide whether to remove the stainless, the concern is if they break some of the clips or they are not reusable then i wont be able to put the trim back on, does anyone know of a source for the clips? also what is your opinion on removing the windshield and rear glass? the body shop man says there is a risk of breaking them and he doesnt feel comfortable doing it so i would have to get an experienced glass shop to do it, the question is does it make that big of a difference when there is not a lot of rust around them anyways? another question does anyone know if the area behind the wheels, wheel well, should be painted black or painted the same color as the car? the body shop thinks it should be black but i had thought i had seen it same color as lower bodyof car, my car will be repainted original torquoise with alcan white top. thanks and maybe i can post some pics later to show work in progress as i know everyone likes to see pics!

Where are you located? Try Restoration Specialties in Windber PA for the clips. They vend at Carlisle ahd Hershey. Wheelwells were probably semi-gloss black.

Buddy of mine is doing a '55 Super 88 that his grandfather bought when it was a year old - good luck with your car!

I am in the middle of nowhere Northern Nevada so our access to anything is limited! So I will have to order clips from somewhere, thanks for the lead. I really need the clips because I want to be able to take the stainless moulding off and do the paint right. Anyone else have trouble getting replacement clips? Thanks, I am going to the shop tommorrow and will post some pics soon.

Thanks for the info, I went to restoration specialties.com and found lots of clips and fasteners and printed a few pages to take to the shop and then called them to order the catalog. I don't see where I can add a pic here so I will add one on a new post.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Joe_Varley

The best source for clips and fasteners I know of is Auveco. They have a web site and an excellent catalog. I buy them at a local auto body supply store in the Phoenix area, but you should be able to get them by mail too.

Joe Varley

AZ