53 Buick body swap

can anybody help me with this question? Will the body of a 53 buick special fit on the chassis of a 73 el camino.My friend has done everything except put the el camino body back on the chassis and tells me if the 53 buick fits it he would let me have it cheap.355 motor,disc brakes all around,bagged rear etc etc.I really dig the work hes done,now I'd just like to put the 53 body on that and be off to the races.Can anybody help me?

my53ROD.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

Did I just see that car on eBay recently? If so, just out of curiosity, did you buy it or were you the seller and it didn't sell?

About all I can tell you that may be of use is that the wheelbase is 121-1/2 inches.

Guest rlbleeker

You need to compare the wheelbase and treadwidth. Wheelbase needs to be pretty close or it's going to look funny. Treadwidth you can deal with a bit by changing wheels. From there, it's just fab work (and quite a bit of it) to get good body mounts, bumpers mounted, radiator, etc. You've got to do it right, or it's going to sit high on the frame and look funny again, unless of course you like it that way.

A body swap is a LOOOONG way from just bolting it onto the frame and hitting the road. Physically getting the dimensions right is the easy part. Getting it to work like a real car is the challenge. But it is done all the time, and none of the problems are insurmountable.

But I think it'll be a while before you're "off to the races." grin.gif