RE: '55 antenna

Guest Faust

I recall some questions about removing these. I just noticed the other day that there is an access panel in the door jamb. That should open on the power antenna mount.

Guest kevinshea

I have yet to install mine in my 54... with the bracket attached to the fender (55 moved to a body mount) .. doesn't look like much fun.

It is NOT easy to get to, at least on my '54 Special. Assuming you are similar or identical on your '55, you reach it from the top by reaching into the space between inner and outer fenders back near the hood hinge. From under the car, flat on your back and reaching up behind the inner fender.

There are two bolts that hold the assemply onto the fender. Undo the cable, as well, which unscrews much like your cable-TV feed.

Then with hands and arms all banged up and dirt in your eye, you go up top again and use a special tool to undo the fancy (for lack of the proper word) ring-nut on top of the antena mount without ruining it. Lots of oil on it ahead of time would be a good idea. The pot-metal does not hold up well and goes bad on the inside, often marring the black plastic insulation as it comes off.

You might make your own tool: Find a piece of soft-metal pipe of similar dia to the nut and grind it down on the end, making two tabs to grab ahold of said nut. Just be patient to get the two tabs evenly opposed and sized to fit.

I hope that helps.

Happy wrenching,

Doug Cook

Quote: You might make your own tool: Find a piece of soft-metal pipe of similar dia to the nut and grind it down on the end, making two tabs to grab ahold of said nut. Just be patient to get the two tabs evenly opposed and sized to fit.

Antenna wrenches are available at most auto parts stores. About $1.98.