GMC truck brake adjustments

27alf

I have been in the Buick section for a while and have picked up a lot of information on my engine. Now I need help with the chassis. I have a 1927 American LaFrance fire truck that has a 1927 GMC truck chassis. It has mechanical brakes. I am looking for information on how to adjust them. The front brakes have three pads on each wheel. anyone seen this before? I am trying to get the rear drums off, but ran into problems, I need to get the wheel off and it doesn't want to let go of the axle (need a bigger hammer)when it lets go I want to adjust them so they work, its nice to have brakes. Any help would be great, Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have an handbook for brake service from 1928 - 1935. In it there is a three shoe bendix system. Could this be what you have. They are actuated by a pull rod that turns an eccentric to spread the shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a book on brakes, sounds like the same thing that you have. It also shows the three shoe system, I hope I can set them. I just found a place to replace my leather grease seals so I can start putting things back together. Thanks for the reply.