Selling advice

Guest tv56

I may be selling my 56 46r special. It is in driver

condition with new seats, new dual exhaust and the

front bumper completely rechromed but not installed,

new carb and radiator. One older presentable repaint

Dynaflow seeps when she sits, but drives out well.

Motor runs well. Car needs some tlc but it is a rock=

solid car, only rust ever was right lower quarter which

was repaired, overall a nice looking car. I have about

nine thousand dollars in the car which is what I would

like to get back out of it if I sell it. Is this a

realistic price to expect for the car? Any opinions?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

My opinion is that your car would not get to $9,000. It's sounds like you have a great car for someone to get into the hobby with low initial cost, but 4 door Specials are not highly collected. That $9,000 should buy a decent 2 door model in any of the series (Special/Century/Super, maybe even a Roadmaster)

With the rechromed bumper back on, we would need to see a photo or two to gain a better perspective.

Thanks for the reply.

It is a two door hardtop. I thought the model number

for a two door hardtop was 46r . To give a little more detail about the car, The interior is complete with original

headliner, door and quarter panel trim, not perfect, but nice. Excellent dash pad and dash. Wonderbar type radio which works. As the car sits it is complete with the original bumpers still on it. The rechromes are new to the

car. The rear has been rechromed already and came with the

car. I guess I will try to post some photos. They will better describe the condition.

Thanks Again,

Tom

Tom,

Sorry, I'm getting old I must have read it wrong. 2 door models definitely bring more then the four doors/ With that in mind, and your additional notes, I would expect this car to go from $7,000 to $10,000, running and driving well as you describe.

Check into what Mark is providing. Some members don't like to pontificate what another owner's car is worth. I have been wrong, but I check ebay 2-3 times a day, Hemmings, private sites, etc.

I can say this: Today's market favors the completed, ready to drive car. Baby boomers don't have the time, money or space (or patient wives) to restore these cars BUT they have pensions, saved money, home equity, etc and they usually scratch that itch on cars like yours.

So a well presented ebay auction with a reserve or Buy It Now set at what you want, should help determine market value. maybe you get to $10,000, maybe not, but if not then there will surely be followup from high bidders.

Also consider putting it in a live auction.

Just some thoughts.

Guest JDHolmes

Here's another link from a site I use when buying a car. I also subscribe and these folks are quite knowledgeable and realistic.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/56buspal.htm

It appears that you might be able to get your investment back and then some on a 2 door in #3 condition. Trim, interior, and appearance are going to be the determining factor. Shoot us some pics for a better guestimate.