57 Roadmaster series 75 four door hardtop

Hey!

I`m gonna start a frame of restoration next week. I bougth a 57 Roadmaster series 75 four door hardtop from Spencerville OHIO this summer. I got it home to Norway in the end of november. I really would like to exchange experience and pictures along the road to the first ride.

Jørn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest My57spcl

Hi Jorn,

My name is Trace (My57spcl) same year car but your model is a few steps up (my first restoration also, althoug I have some experience on my dads car, his first also). There are a lot more people on this site that know way more than I do. I will offer some thoughts, get all manuals pertaing to your car original or copies. Take lots of pictures as it comes apart, label everything (the blue 3m painters tape works well and comes of easy), have lots of storage containers to put parts in with your labels. Researching parts, join the BCA, Hemmings Motor news, e-bay, go to local car shows and talk to people they can give you tips, info on local shops good or bad. Not had this experience but someone said if your having a square peg in a round hole day, leave it alone and come back to it a different day. Have Fun.

Trace Burris

BCA #43237

57 Special 2 door sedan in resto process

• 1 month later...

Jorn,

I agree with what Trace said, especially about the manuals. The most important of Buick manuals you need is the Master Chassis Parts & Master Body Parts manuals, which list all the part numbers used on your car.

The 75's were introduced in March, 1957, and have a number of differences from previous Roadmasters. Finned aluminum brake drums and an upgraded interior are two that come to mind.

Bear in mind that as a "C-body" car (Buick Super Model 50 & RM Model 70); Cadillac Series 62 & 60), yours is nearly 3" wider than the "B-body" cars Special (40) & Century (60). The bumper ends are all interchangeable, but almost all body trim is not. Grilles on Models 40 & 60 have 100 verticle bars, versus 104 bars on Models 50 & 70. The glass interchanges with all GM C-body cars, but not with any of GM B-body cars.

Don't make the mistake that many have made and buy the pretty NOS part for sale, only to find out it's for the "smaller" Buick. (Not that <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> of them are that small).

I've had my Model 73 Roadmaster since 1991, and rely heavily on the big Master Parts books when searching for parts.

Good luck on your frame off job, and keep us all posted; several people on the Forum have Model 75's.

Regards,

TG (Tom Gibson)