'54 Packard Clipper

DennyZ

For sale is a ‘54 Packard Clipper Deluxe.

This may be one of the nicest '54 Clippers you're going to find anywhere.... and it's a great cruiser!! It has 59K miles on the odometer. It was purchased new by a dairy farmer who died in 1960. Upon his death, it sat for many years in a garage because his widow didn't drive. Upon her death, it was auctioned off at her estate sale, and purchased by two Ohio Highway Patrolmen. They drove the car very little also, mostly in local parades. In 1999 they decided to sell the car because of storage issues. It has always been stored inside, apparently in the dry because the original condition remains excellent. The seats were covered with some sort of seat covers, and when we removed them, the original seats underneath were like new. I bought the car to drive on antique car tours, so we went through the car's systems to make sure it would be dependable. We re-cored the radiator and rebuilt the water pump right away. The brakes were gone through and leaky cylinders were replaced and new wheel bearings installed. Everything else was given regular maintenance. It has a set of new wide white radial tires and a new exhaust system. The radials really improve the handling of the car. The chrome and stainless was either re-chromed or polished and is now in great shape except for a scratch on the front bumper. The most dramatic change we made on the car was the repaint. Originally the car was black. I don't like black! So a professional body man ground the old paint off, even though most of it was in good shape. Some minor body work was completed on the rear quarters where some rust was evident. He fabricated new panels, welded them in and ground them smooth. No body filler was used on this car. Other than that, the body was straight as an arrow--as far as I know, it had never been involved in any accidents. The Matador Maroon repaint really gives this car a classy look, I think. It has a standard 3-speed transmission, so it has avoided any problems that the Ultramatic has given many Packard owners. We believe this to be a late '54 Deluxe because it features many trim items usually associated with the Super models (hood pelican, stainless corners above the front bumper). Packard liked to use up parts before model change-over. It is a radio delete model--I don't think the old farmer thought he needed a radio! We did add the fender skirts and the full wheel covers, things that this car screams for! The thing I love about this car is that it will run all day and stay as cool as a cucumber. The only thing that isn't working currently is the speedometer. The cable started making noises this summer so I unhooked it, and just bought a nos cable on eBay but haven‘t hooked it up yet. This car runs so smoothly that I've been tempted to drop the engine out of it and put it in the Mayfair we also own--which brings me to the reason I'm selling the Clipper. When we bought the '54, I was looking for a Mayfair, but couldn't find one at the time that I thought we could afford. When we found this great Clipper, we gave up on the Mayfair idea and proceeded with the '54. Then a '52 Mayfair fell into my lap and we had to buy it too. We did a cosmetic restoration on the '52 and now drive it on our post war car tours. The '54 sits in our garage most of the time. To finance a restoration of a ’41 Clipper, reluctantly the '54 must go! We had our fun with it but its time to move on. I ’m asking $11,900 and believe it's worth that much because of its originality but I will entertain a realistic offer before I list it on eBay. You really have to hear it run to fully appreciate it. I live midway between Fort Wayne, IN and Toledo, OH near Defiance, Ohio. I'm home most evenings if you would want to talk cars. (419-653-4790) Email me at dazachrich@henry-net.com for photos

Guest ZondaC12

I actually did a google image search on 1954 packards just because I wanted to see a few of them. Very handsome cars! In fact, one of the results was a site that you must have attempted to sell it on before, which has a picture on it. So I saved the picture and attached it here for ya. Id still be happy to help you post any others you have but this one says a lot itself! Niiiiiiiiice cool.gif

post-39688-143137959276_thumb.jpg