1938 Buick serial number

R Walling

Guest Two Roadmasters

Hi Roger,

your title company is correct, Buick never ended serial numbers with a letter, at least not from 1924 and onwards. My car´s serial number is 13301204, some 26500 units earlier than yours. Serial number for 1938 started at 13219848 for all cars like yours and mine made in Flint. The other two plants, Linden and South Gate had other serial number starts, Linden from 33245765 and South Gate from 23238767.

Regards

Mats Ahrin,

Buick 1938 model 80-C

Sweden

Guest imported_Thriller

My understanding is that occasionally letters would interchange for numbers on the punches - l for 1, b for 6 or 9, E for 3. I don't recall hearing an exact reasoning for it though...that doesn't mean there isn't a good explanation though.

I have seen serial numbers on a lot of things though the years. And I have seen some strange combinations at times. An educated guess would be that the serial number dies would sometimes break. And rather than stop production a letter or number would be subsituted for the broken one. Also, being that the numbers/letters were constantly changing there is always an element of human error.

Something that I worked on a number of years ago had a number "7" upside down. I can't remember what now? Tractor, engine, bulldozer??? Whatever it was, it was that "mistake" that stuck in my mind. smile.gif Dave!

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Roger:

Your title company is correct. The first digit is a 1 which tells you that the car was built at Flint. 1938 was the first year that there was a plant identifier in the frame number. 2 is for Southgate, CA. and 3 is Linden, NJ.

The balance of the number 3,327,721 is the actual frame number and the last number is a 1, not an I, even though this is a very common Buick stamping error.

It should be noted that once you get past the first digit, Buick never duplicates a frame number.

I hope this helps explain how these numbers work. For reference, this number was used on a March, 1938 vehicle.

Regards, Dave Corbin