1928 Overland Whippet Six

Guest Karla Maxwell

Guest Karla Maxwell

Hello Everyone......I restore antique antomobile emblems and am currently working on a dark blue Overland Whippet Six radiator emblem. Does anyone out there know for SURE what the correct plating should be? At this point I am leaning towards gold.

I am also working on a 1931 Reo Speedwagon with the same plating concern. I'm listing that in an additional post to keep them separated for searching purposes.

Thanks in Advance......Karla

The Flying Cloud REO was a matte gold finish, but I'm not too up on truck stuff (do not collect it). Is the Whippet the scroll shape or one of the rounds??? I can check out either tonight and reply tomorrow.

Good to know you jumped on-board here, and it's a good place to ask this kind of question.

Regards,

Mark

Guest Karla Maxwell

Mark, Thanks for the reply. When I posted I had not yet received the REO Speedwagon. Once I did, the back still shows traces of a silver plating. The color is warm making me think it may be nickel rather than chrome even though it is 1931. I still would like to be sure though.

Regarding the Whippet Six. Yes, it is the dark blue scroll with the white Whippet lettering. This one does appear to have a gold cast on the area that was protected by a washer. Again, I'd still like to be sure.

Thanks in Advance......Karla

Guest Karla Maxwell

Mark, Regarding the round Whippet red, white and blue emblems. I also am working on one of them at the moment. I am pretty sure it has the gold plating but the customer is not. My only resource is a color photo but the image is questionable [possibly a color shift] and I can't tell if I'm looking at plating or the base copper.

Usually the plating isn't much of a question but I have 5 emblems right now that are probably gold plated and can be an issue because of the spike in gold nowdays.

Later.........Karla

The scroll shaped Whippet is definately a matte gold finish, the round one I have is nickel. I'm not sure if the platings changed depending on the year or purchase order as I was almost sure the round was gold as well before removing it from my display to look at the back. I apologize for not getting back sooner.

Regards,

Mark

Guest Karla Maxwell

Mark, Thanks for the reply. Regarding the round Whippet, I would have bet money that it was gold [as you also thought] but your information leans towards nickel. I may try to contact other collectors or maybe tie into a Whippet owner's group.

Later............Karla