16" diameter x 3" wide original VW wheel rims, pre-1953

stock_steve

Oh boy, these seem to be scarcer than hens teeth, but I've embarked on a quest to assemble a set, hopefully without sending myself to the poor house. I've recently gotten "re-invigorated" in the enthusiasm department about our family's 1950 Deluxe Beetle, VIN 1-0185699 (I have the production info from VW archives about it, but not handy right now--but it is indeed a 1950 model, AND VW indicates it was imported into New York City, which *suggests*! it was an original Hoffman car!). Anyway, along with various mechanical fixes I need to get done to get it ready for driving again, I also want to get a good set of wheels & tires going for it, in the authentic 16" configuration that is correct for the car. If you cane help with sources or leads (singles, pairs, *whatever*--I'll take what I can get!), please let me know--thanks!

Steve from Connecticut

e-mail CommonGear@aol.com

P.S.: More info, plus a couple of hyperlinked photos, are posted in the "11/16/2007 Brief Updates" paragraph on the main Common Gear page: http://members.aol.com/commongear/

• 1 month later...

I've made a little recent progress toward assembling a set of 16-inchers for my car, but still need at least one more. Here is an illustrative picture I made up to show the difference between a 16" diameter by 3" wide split window-era ('52 & earlier) Bug wheel, and the more common 15" diameter by 4" wide later Bug wheel (approximately '53 through '65). It is also notable that the bolting patterns are the same.

15vs16inchComp75.jpg

I also need a split window-era battery cover for my '50--here is my descriptive wanted ad about it from another forum:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=553650

Thanks again,

Steve (CommmonGear@aol.com)