General Suspension / Brakes question

Trying to do a little 'homework' here. Come spring I want to replace my brakes-rotor and calipers and do what ever it takes to get my suspension up to snuff. Not sure what that will entail but I am thinking struts, tie rods,?? shocks, and ?? Plan is to try and purchase the things I will need over the coarse of the fall/winter (so it doesn't seem so financially 'painful'.

I see brake rotor/pad sets on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-90-CHR...sspagenameZWDVW

Are these any good? too expensive?? Would I be better off having my current calipers rebuilt? What typically needs replacement on a TC as far as front suspension...in other words, what are all the parts I would need to get to completely rebuild my front end, assuming drivetrain and cv joints are fine. Does anyone have a particular supplier/makers of parts that they like? Dislike?

As always, TIA

Brian

Hey Brian,

As always it depends on what you want as an end result. To my feel, The TC is sloppy at best; but I didn't want to make a harsh ride I just wanted a solid feel at 100 MPH as opposed to the TC "wallow" and a comfortable not jarring ride at 25 to 50. I used KYB model KR2 struts & shocks, I also always replace the upper strut mount (it contains a bearing that works every time you turn the wheel) and the lower spring mount. It's cheap and then I'm sure the spring is seated correctly for alignment. The original rotors, calipers and pads are very well sized etc. to replace I use any corresponding American made replacement part. NO Canadian, Mexican, Asian substitutes. The pads are usually classified by "Lifetime Semi-Mettallic.. None of these parts are interchangeable with a "LeBaron"; but many are interchangeable with Dodge Daytona..

Guest StudeDude 01

Brian-----have used Monroe Sensatrac Struts for my ' 89 & '90 and Gabriels for the rear with good results. As Lou stated, the strut mounts should always be replaced as well. The Monroes come with the protective boot for the piston---some others do not. I found that both cars also benefited from replacement of the stabilizer bar bushings---both the link and mount. These are usually shot from exposure to weather and oil and are not expensive to replace. All of the suspension pieces are generally interchangeable with Lebarons/other K car variants.

I have had no issues with using Chinese/Mexican/other foreign countries rotors or any other brake parts in these or any other vehicles, so you have to decide about that. The cost is generally in their favor and they are certainly available at most part chains. I have been switching over to ceramic front pads on some of my other vehicles---no dark brake dust and no noticeable change in performance.

Good luck.

We also used KYB shocks and the springs are replacement units for a Daytona. The TC chassis is a modified Daytona chassis NOT a LeBaron chassis.

As for brake and suspension parts... my hubby is in the business and you definitely get what you pay for, and there is a much higher failure rate on Chinese-made parts. Your brakes and suspension are pretty critical components for your safety. Do you really want to trust anything made in that country with their quality control issues?

I would like to go 1 step further than that. There is a definate personality difference between the European, and Americar Repair Philosiphy. In America we tend to "make it work" and go on our way, And spend as little money as possible doing it. Possibly part of our "Throw-Away mentality. The European personality is much different: fix it, repair it, maintain it, the best way possible; because it must last. An American 30,000 mi service is: change some fluids, and filters, pay a couple of hundred dollars and go. European is: Check EVERY part in the car, anything showing wear below tollerences, replace or repair; including body work, interior upholstery etc. Pay a couple of <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> thousand dollars and then go. They try to get as close to "Showroom" as the original. Every time we put a "cheaper" quality part in a car we cheapen the car.

OK, I will now step off my soap box..... Lou

Thanks all for the input. As far as the end result,I think Lou nailed it. Kinda like he was reading my mind. Want to keep the everyday ride as much as possible, but would like to get rid of the wallow and get just a little better response. As far as foreign versus homegrown....being in the automotive industry I almost ALWAYS bypass the foreign junk, even if I have to pay a little more for US parts. (But even a lot of them originate overseas) I do prefer to keep my fellow Americans working whenever possible....but don't get me cranked up on THAT one.. wink.gif

It is true you get what you pay for, and if you don't mind wrenching on your car a lot then cheaper parts are ok. I like to fix it right,the first time, and once...

Thanks Again all,

Brian