DB 4 Exhaust systems

Guest AussieJohn

Guest Aussie John

Can anyone advise the correct size for early 20's db 4 exhaust systems, and are there any problems with no standard size muffler/tail pipes

John

I just meaured the out side diameter of the original exaust pipe and tail pipe on my 1920 dodge. Up by the engine before the muffler 2.0 in. (50 mm), after the muffler 1.312 in.(33.3mm). The tail pipe curves gently under the wooden floor boards and just behind the drivers seat is the muffler. The tail pipe goes straight out of the muffler 6 in. (152 mm) and curve straight down about 6 in. (152 mm) and then curve out toward the back about 6 in. (152 mm) and then ends about 12 in. (.3 m) from rear end. Yes its micky mouse but welcome to the roaring 20's. The exaust system ends under the car.

Reuel (rule)

Guest backyardmachinc

Hello John,

Romar can supply you a complete exhaust system for all 4 cylinder DBs give them a call at 814-827-7601.

Guest Aussie John

Thanks Fellas...

Have got a pipe on mmine at the moment but it is 2" all the Way through... do we have any experts on performance or problems with a larger tail pipe section ...

BAck pressure ?? increase /decrease in power etc ???

John

I ran my 1923 Screenside delivery for 10 years with just the 2in. Then I put the correct little piece on the back end of the muffler. My muffler is a 2 inch cherry bomb. Here in the US that is the most inexpensive and simplest legal muffler you can buy. It is still on the truck and now it has been 17 years. Oops I side tracked. With all that horse power in your Dodge, 37 per the book. The only thing I noticed, was a change in the tone. No loss in power. It still powers up the steepest street in my city. The street is a 7% or 8% grade and the old Dodge goes up in second gear at 10 to 15 mph. Joking aside there isn't much difference. With 4.5:1 compression, timing and carburetor tuning are what’s really noticeable.

Reuel (rule)