Gearshift knob

carhop

Hey JoAnn,

Is it drab looking because the top where the insignia is has turned black because the finish was worn off?? If so, take a piece of good heavy paper towel, fold it about 4 times and cut a piece about 2x as big as the top of the shifter, Soak it in clorox (bleach) just so that it does not drip. Place it on top of the shifter where it has blackened. Cover that with some saran wrap so that it does not evaporate, Wrap some tape around the bottom of the plastic, Leave it overnight, tomorrow the wood should be light again. Rinse with a wet rag a couple of times. Let dry real good. Lightly sand with 320 grit paper. Blow it out, lightly coat the bare wood area with Boiled Linseed Oil (that will show up the grain in the wood). Let that dry for 3 days then vacuum, dust, and wipe it with a tack rag, lightly coat it with some clear polyurethane, BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO ALLOW ANY URETHANE DOWN BETWEEN THE PIECES. A couple of coats will have it high gloss like the original. sand so lightly between coats that you are just wiping it with the sand paper. Blow it off, Vacuum it, and Tack rag it

Guest FILBERT

Our gearshift knobs are made of REAL wood? Wow, I thought everything that looked like wood in the interior was plastic! So how much is real leather and how much is vinyl?

Hi JoAnn,

I have very few parts, If you are refering to the cover over the instrument cluster, I would guess that 80% of the TCs are running around with a shrunkin cover, I am going to repair mine soon. I have 1 car that is perfect and the other that is shrunk. I'm thinking of repairing it with a strip of black vinyl glued to cover that area..

OK JoAnn,

You made me start. I pulled the Leather covered plastic housing from the dash. The leather that shrunk is stronger than the plastic it was stapled to and it warped the plastic when it shrunk. I pulled out the staples, released the glue bond along the edge, I used 4 "C" clamps & clamped it to the edge of my work bench to straighten the warp. I am now going to leave that clamped for a couple of days. Now I will look for some nice vinyl, I'm thinking black because it's easy to find; but if I find some Brown I'll use that. I'm planning a 1 1/2" strip accross the back (closest to the windshield), I'll wrap it around and under the cover leaving enough for some shrinkage; but those line-up/hold-down pins will not allow much...

We will see, Lou

Hey Steph,

I know it's my hard headed italian heritage; but when a stupid problem is caused by something as idotic as: shrinking leather being stronger than the material it is bonded to, and this weak material is a housing exposed on the face if the dash board. I get some pleasure in doing it this way.(if it comes out nice)

It's like making fun of them "look what I did, I put Vinyl on top of your "super" leather Stupid, Neh, Neh, NehNeh, Neh".....

..I know, sometimes this 72 yr old acts like a 12 yr old.

but i'm smilin...