Matching wide white radials with old sizes

DennyZ

I want to install wide white radials on my '41 Packard Clipper and I'm somewhat perplexed as to what size to order. The original tires were 7.00 X 15. The modern P225/75R15's seem to be the correct height, but are a lot wider. Are there any WWR's on the market that would match the old size better?

Denny, If you insist on having wide whitewalls Diamondback Tire offers them in 700-15. They are Yokohama radial truck tires but are the correct width and diameter. Toyo and Yokohama both make 7.00-15 radial tires in blackwall but they also have raised lettering "TOYO" or "YOKOHAMA" on the side wall that somehow would look odd on a 1941 Packard. Diamondback offers these in blackwall with the lettering removed.

Bridgestone recently discontinued the size as has Michelin but these were blackwall also. I personally prefer my Clipper with blackwall tires but that is a personal choice.

I know, I know, I've heard it before, but I think this great loking car needs a dressed-up wheel to really set it off. Thanks for the tip. I've bought tires from those folks before, but didn't see the 700's on their website. I looked again and found them posted with the "new products". $209 each for the 3 1/2 in white wall.