LEFT TURN SIGNAL

Guest FILBERT

Guest FILBERT

I replace both bulbs on the left side of the tailights, but still do not have a left turn signal. The right works fine, and all the brake lights work as well. Any ideas?

Check your front turn signal bulb as well. If either (or both) bulbs are out, the signal will not work on that side.

You might also want to remove the bulbs again (front and rear) and lightly sand the contacts with uber-fine sand paper to clean them up, re-insert bulbs and try again. I don't remember for sure, but you might have to completely re-install the light fixture before the bulbs will work. Sometimes that is how they complete the circuit (ground).

Also check for broken/loose wiring at the base of the sockets.

Hey Filbert,

I'll give you a quick run-down on the tail light electrical path ~ From battery , To Stop light switch , To signal light switch (that's where the wires seperate and work together sometimes (stop light), and seperately sometimes (signsl light), but they are all the same wires. If the both stop lights work, The wires and bulbs are OK. Make 1 other check, with the lights on are both the stop lights of equal brightness?? the dim one would be poor ground, (works OK with lights off), (but is dimm when lights on) ~ When I write Lights On, I refer to head lights or parking lights. And as Car Chick writes, if front signal light bulb is not working it will not load the flasher correctly and may show as out.. The light load is what makes the flasher work, and if the flasher is week or otherwise faulty, etc.etc. Good Luck, Lou

My taillight was acting the same way and my son found that the wire going to the bulb was not making good contact and he put a piece of toothpick in beside to push the wire over and it works just fine now. Oh well what ever works . Jo Ann

Hi Jo Ann,

That was probably the little brass ground that rubbs on the sibe of the light bulb.. That's good; but we solder them, just because the tooth pick is not approved. Ha, Ha, Lou

Guest FILBERT

How do I reach the front turn signal bulb? Also, are the amber lights on the front black bumper trim (sides near the wheel wells) supposed to light? If so, when I'm making a turn or are they only running lights. Mine don't go on anytime. How do I reach those bulbs?

Guest FILBERT

UPDATE! I got to the bulb in question, and sure enough, it's black! But now how do I get the bulb out? The little bulb has two skinny metal feet attached to two metal prongs that appeared to be attached by unknown means. The metal prongs are attached to the plastic dohicky that attaches to the wires. Hmmm, not familiar with such a setup. Please help!

Hey Filbert,

I think what you have now is the little bulb that is in the long narrow light on the side of the fender in the black rubber.That little glass bulb just pushes straight in, and pulls straight out. The socket pushes into the light and twists, less than 1/4 turn. That's not what we ment by the signal light. The signal light is the amber light under the front bumper, to get that one out you need to put an allen wrench up into the holes under that light in the valence, remove the 2, 2 1/4" long allen screws then carefully work out the light and the anti-shake foam that's glued to it, thru the front light opening, the small bulb in the center of the light is the parking light. the larger outside bulb is the signal light. Check it carefully (see if it works) before you go thru all the work to remove it. Good Luck, Lou

Guest FILBERT

Okay Lou, you're right again! The first one I looked at is for the cornering lamp (just to the right of headlight facing the grill) I believe. That's the one with the funny bulb that I can't figure out, but is burned black. Bulb has two metal "legs" attached to two more metal legs. No way to disconnect at metal leg bases, but can unplug attached plastic housing where the wires are. I'll deal with the allen wrench, under the bumper lights on Saturday. Thanks for your help!

Hi Filbert,

The correct term for that light is " Cornering Light" it turns on when the signal light handle is moved and the light shines to illuminate the turning area. Then goes off when the signal arm returns to normal. I have not had to change one of those bulbs yet but there are some bulbs that have a plastic connector as part of them, that does not remove. Lou