1938 Engine Sizes – 248 vs 320

DBT

How much in common did the two engines have?

Still very new to Buicks and with only Jaguar experiences to draw on is the difference between the two just one of stroke or is the engine completely different?

Are the dimensions the same? Could you for instance interchange items such as the valve cover or spark plug cover from one to the other?

They appear similar on screen but have not been able to source data [from the web at least] to be sure. My assumption at the moment is that the 320 just runs a taller block than the 248 but again it is very hard to say from photos. The owners manual is mute of the subject as well.

Thanks

Guest imported_Thriller

To add to The Old Guy's response, I was just looking at the numbers for '52 - the 320 is a bigger bore and longer stroke than the 263 which is also larger in both bore and stroke than the 248.

Those dimensions are the same going back to 1938.

I guess the statement could be made that they are of similar design, but with sufficient differences that they could be considered different "families" of engines...I'm sure there's a better word out there.

I was just looking for some weights of the engines online, but couldn't find anything.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear DBT:

Parts for 1936 to 1942 320 engines can be tough to come by. Some items will fit any 320 engine 1936 to 1952. The spark plug cover you're looking for is in parts group 2.259 and the part number is 1288744 and fits all 320 engines from 1936 thru 1940. It's about 33 inches long.

Regards, Dave Corbin