40 RING AND PINION

Guest JUNKFLYBOY

Guest JUNKFLYBOY

WOULD LIKE TO SLOW THE ENGINE DOWN AS NUCH AS POSSIBLE IN MY 40 BUICK SPECIAL 40 SERIES, ANY ONE KNOW IF 1955 DYNAFLOW RING AND PINION 3.3 WILL BOLT IN????

Hey, Old Guy, without me doing some measuring, will the '55 Century rear end fit in "Mimi", but, I don't know if it has a '48 Roadmaster rear end, or a model 90. Something tells me that it may be a '48 RM that been converted to fit the pickup, you can see where the torque tube has been extended, unless all of them are made that way. But, if they used a '48 RM rear end, they had to convert the 12" brakes etc. to 14". Can you be of any assistance here ? Thanks, Paul

Paul

They did not make a 90 series in 48, so if it is a 48 rear end, you can use any center section from 1940-1955. The rear ends were all the same in all the series I don't know anything about 14" brakes as I did not know that Buick offered them at ant time. The complete center section will fit , which means you don't have to worry about relashing the gears for tooth contact and spacing. The biggest problem I had in the conversion was getting the drive shaft to run true when changing it from one pinion shaft to another. They are also sometimes VERY difficult to remove from the pinion shaft.

Joe, I am going to take for granted that if the housing looks the same, and is the same size, that it should interchange. The only thing would be the axle splines, and that should be the first thing I will check, since the axles must be model 90, since it has the 5.5 inch bolt pattern. When it comes to making sure that the drive shaft is running true, I imagine you would have to check that before the torque tube is installed. I have changed one in a '50, and it ran true, but, probably by accident. It is a challenge to remove the drive shaft, but, I made a jig that pushes it off with 3 bolts, but, I had huge blisters in my palms by the time I got it off. I have heard of heating the outside, but, I don't like that idea at all. Any other info would be appreciated, thanks, Paul

Paul

The splines in all standard axles is the same. Your car is a one of a kind, but I would almost bet that GM used the same splines or they would not have been able to put your unit together.( They may also have made side gears with different splines that you can interchange into the higher ratio unit.)

Your little jig sounds like the way to go for removal.