MISFIRE ON ACCELERATION

Guest wpoll

Have a question to put out here..

on high speed acceleration, (such as on highway) my 2.2 hits a real 'dead' spot, and dies for just a split second. It's enough to to jerk me forward in my seat, but then the car takes off. It's not a shift lag, but actually seems like a mis-fire, or the engine actually quitting for a moment. The manual points to plugs, but they're gapped correctly, and no carbon build-up. Also, if this is any clue, the car has been real tough to start when hot. Almost seems like fuel starvation, but only when the engine is warm. Gotta put the pedal to floor to start her. But when it's cold, it starts right up!.... any ideas?? Sound like a timimg problem??

Thanks

Wayne

Guest tcuda340

Could be a posssible distributor pick-up. If that's a turbo motor the pick up also controlled the fuel injectors. Are there any trouble codes? You need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it reads when acting up. Possible O2 sensor ( I've seen 'em do some strange things and not turn on the check engine light).

My old 2.2 had the coil pick up wire strung too tightly from the factory. It intermitently shorted out, especially on accelleration, and yes it was just like the car shut off for a sec. Once the wire was replaced, never again was it a problem. It would also have hard start when hot.

Guest StudeDude 01

Wayne----the September TC newsletter contained an article by Hemi Andersen re: 2.2's which just quit running. The cause could be the distributor plate, AKA Hall plate. The Chrysler part number is 4886069AA. Hope that helps.

All stock 1989 2.2 Turbo. Only 'dies' when accelerating to high speed, and only for split second. Also very hard to start when engine is warm, almost like gas starvation. I have to put the pedal to the floor to start her...

Thanks

Wayne

I think you are talking about two separate issues actually. That cut out under heavy accelaration sounds to me like overboost cut out. Most often we see it on turbo Chryslers that have been modified for boost control or a free flowing exhaust. The MAP sensor takes a pressure reading inside the manifold/lines and converts it to voltage to tell the ECU computor how much fuel/timing to add (or take away). So for some reason, your MAP sensor is seeing higher than 14.7 PSI of boost or is putting out too much voltage to the ECU in effect 'telling' the computor there is more than 14.7 pounds of boost. MAP sensors usually 'throw a code' when they have an issue or will light the check engine light. Have you run the codes yet by cycling the key on, off,on, off, on and leaving it on? Essentially just three times then count the blinks of the check engine light. Two quick blinks follow ed by a short pause then three quick blinks would signify a code 23. Make sense? Run the codes and write them down and we can decipher them.

We'll get to the bottom of this... I have a hunch but I want more details first. Also if you have an old vacuum/boost gauge you can hook up to manifold pressure temporarily, that would help too. The TC's didnt get the gauge from the factory-but should have wink.gif

Alan

I had a bad idle with my old SMEC but that vanished with the reflashed smec I added-idles like a Lambo now, well 1/3 of a Lambo anyways...

And I haven't forgotten about the white hardtop-just need to break away from here...