Had A Tire Pressure Monitor Installed (TPM)

LukeP

I had a tire pressure monitor installed in my 88'. I had been thinking about one for awhile for my other car, but decided to go ahead and get it for the Reatta since the backlight matched the rest of the displays in the car cool.gif

The make of the TPM is Third Eye and I believe that if you google that you can learn more about it. I think that they are marketed under different names as the user manual has no company name or contact info which I thought was strange. Anyway the thing is nice and monitors both pressure and temp. There are 2 modes, Factory and User Defined. I am using factory mode now out of sheer lazyness but you can also program in different parameters. In factory mode the alarm does not go off until you reach 23 psi of pressure.

The whole thing was only a little over $300 installed. The stereo place that wired the head unit charged $45, Les Schwab charged $75 to install the sensors and to balance the tires, and the unit itself was a little over $200. It looks kinda cool also being a gadget guy myself.

If anyone wants to know where to get one shoot me an email. 10p1x88.jpg

Luke

Guest Reatta1

Looks like you need some AC service too. I had same problem with my 88 4 or 5 years ago and ended up converting to 134a and have not been sorry. Have not had a problem since.

Yeah, just got the car a few months back and have not got around to the AC. Actually we only had a few real hot days this year so I did not really even need it. Wish my car had the sunroof option though. That helps a lot on hot days.

Guest F14CRAZY

I ought to look into this. I ruined one of my 17'' tires due to a nail. It was the driver's rear and I was towing my old jet ski trailer and I didn't notice it until I smelled burning rubber when I got home. My tire shop took it off the rim and the inside was turned to dust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 'Reatta1'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you need some AC service too. I had same problem with my 88 4 or 5 years ago and ended up converting to 134a and have not been sorry. Have not had a problem since. </div></div>

Has anyone tried the R12 replacement called Freeze12 to top off a low system? It's cheap enough and available locally.

BTW, you might be able to reset the AC code and it will start working again. When the code is set the AC will shut off until the code is reset, even if it is just an intermittent problem.

If there is a easy way to clear the AC code by all means let me know. I know that the battery has been disconnected numerous times and the code is still there. I did a quick search and did not find the procedure for doing this. Thanks.

The code may not clear if there is an actual problem but it is worth a try.

Turn on the key but don't start the engine. Allow the CRT to warm up.

Push the "Climate" button on the upper left of the CRT display.

Hold the "off" button and the "warm" button at the same time. After a few seconds, all the stored codes will start being listed one at a time on the screen. ECM codes are displayed first, then BCM codes and then other codes. BCM codes will contain codes for the AC. I would be prepared to write down the codes for further troubleshooting.

After all codes are displayed the screen will ask "ECM?", click the "no" button. Then it will ask "BCM?", click "yes". It will continue to ask BCM related questions and you need to click "no" until you come to "Reset codes" and click "yes". That will reset the BCM codes.

Click "end" and you are done.

Restart the engine. If you still have the AC problem displayed you will have to troubleshoot the AC system. If cold air blows out you saved yourself some money.

Good Luck!

Thanks I will try this and report back. I have gotten used to the warning screen alerting me about the AC. I just let it stay on unless I want to change the radio or heat control. Again......sheer lazyness on my part smile.gif

Guest kennyw

Just the information for the a.c. that I needed. I had a hard time getting one can of ******12 into my system. I even used the old trick of placing the can in hot water. I stll get the message. I changed the one sensor that could be changed. Changing the other sensor will empty the system. If this works I will kick myself as I never use the reatty because of no air. Thanks for the information. Ken

Yah, I do have the book, just hate to search the thing.

Thanks TDman. I followed your instructions to clear the AC code and it seems that it worked. I noticed that once I ran the AC to test it that it blew cold. It was fairly cold outside so that might have contributed a bit but it felt cooler than just the outside air so maybe the freon was not totally drained.

I wish I would had asked for this advice a couple of months ago when it was hot outside! Thanks again.

Luke