window, driver's

Guest REATTANEOPHYTE

Guest REATTANEOPHYTE

1989 Reatta (87K) Driver's window not functioning correctly. Window will go up, and stop partway. After period of time, will move again about halfway, and eventually not move. I have tried to look up info I have previously read, but can't locate such info. Window will move again after waiting a couple minutes, but only intermittently, then nothing. I have sprayed switch on console, no change, driver's window operates correctly. Would someone offer a diagnosis, testing procedures prior to removing door panel, and after removing door panel? Could it be a circuit breaker? Where? Thanks for your assistance. Bob Lucas

The problem is either a dry/dirty window track or the window is out of the track. The reason it goes part way and stops is because resistance on the motor gets too great and the breaker trips. After it cools down the breaker resets and allows you to try again. Eventually the motor or the relay will fail for good if you keep forcing it to work. Repairs need to be made before that happens.

The procedure for repair has been discussed at length on this forum. Sorry but I don't have a link. Search for window problems and I'm sure you will find the help you need or someone who has done the procedure will chime in here to offer help.

Guest alex_houston

My experience would it is out of track. You can likely tell if you roll it up till it stops. The look at the rubber where the window track is. It should not be out of alignment or have rubber showing it is bending out of shape. If it does, remove the door panel, likely remove the bolts holding the wing window loosely, and position the window back in track. Not too bad a job when I did it last week.

Guest gtwassociates

I just fixed my drivers side window motor with the problem you described ... I removed the door panel to get to the window motor ... quite an effort then to get the motor out of the door ...you have to drill out 5 rivets... thought the problem was the brushes in the motor ... but was a lubrication problem. There is a tiny hole where I added oil and the motor began to work perfectly ...

see separate topic on this

Guest gtwassociates

the separate topic is "windows" I have the door panel off and will see if the hole can be accessed with oil without removing the motor and window regulator ...

I agree with those above who have suggested remove any friction... I used a lot of silicone spray on the moving parts ... but still had to pull the motor to finally find what was wrong with mine