Shrunken Top

abelincoln

Finally getting around to working on the Continental Cabriolet top, now that it is raining. I have to bump the door window top hard to get the pin out of the socket on the windshield frame, and use a jimmy bar to stretch enough to get back in. Is there an adjustment for this, or is the top just too tight? Also how far down does the top go? Mine sticks up out of the car, even with the hydraulic cylinders removed.

Thanks

Abe

post-43470-143137949981_thumb.jpg

post-43470-143137949982_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

The top of the cabriolets does sit rather high in the down position as your picture shows. This is normal. The boot is necessary as the top blows around a lot and you can't see out of your rearview mirror.

There are adjustments on the top. The pin portion of the latch assembly is adjustable at the attachment point to the upper window mount. Loosen the plate and it slides back and forth about 3/8 of an inch.

Another adjustment is in the boot area where the top irons bolt to a brace on top of the rear wheel well. Do one adjustment at a time and get to know what movement affects the adjustment you need.

It is possible that your top has shrunk also.Does the canvas feel real tight when it is latched to the windshield header?

Guest moodier

Hi;Have the same problem with my 48!My top is smooth shiny I think some kind of vinyl?It shrinks so bad when down nearly impossinble to get latched,Didn't realize there were some adjustements maybe would help.Never leave it down o'night evan or real battle to get latched.