54 power brake vacuum pump oil

old-tank

I have been given some 54 Buick brake and suspension parts off a local member's modification project. I got the pump working and now need to fill the reservoir. Also what is the duty cycle on this unit? I am thinking of using it for testing wiper motors, A/C and heater doors, and make a brake bleeder. Or just give it to someone that needs it real bad for a restoration.

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

I am not sure what weight oil it is. I was told you could use a light weight all purpose oil like 3 in 1 but have never trusted that enough to put it in one of mine. I have a small can of NOS oil in the original can with the little funnel attached to the top that I have used whenever I need to top mine off with which is hardly ever.

These little motors are hard to come by and are generally burnt up when you do find one due to the fact that they run whenever the ignition is turned on. They were seldom operable even in running/on the road cars, thereby leaving the car without assisted brakes if the engine stopped running while going down the road. NOT a good feeling.

Lamar

Is the proper oil listed in the 54 service or owners manual? Or is it just "special oil for vacuum unit"...like the "special oil for dynaflow"? I used motor oil when I assembled, but the reservoir has some wicks that move the oil to other areas and it seems that motor oil would be too thick for that.

Let me know it you want this unit and the rest of the power brake parts.

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

Hey Willie, I'd be interested in those brake parts. I had sent you a forum PM before your second post. You're dead on with what the manual lists to use for the pump... "Special lubricating oil" Power Brake Cylinder Oil Part No. 1165078 (3 oz. can)