New Reatta owner, so many questions so little time!

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

Bought a Reatta an am happy as a clam. Should have bought a new one years ago but they were expensive. I wanted a Reatta since I first saw the ads on TV in 88. I bought the one listed on ebay 190139124929. 91 white coupe with 65000 miles and runs great. Confirmed it has always been in California Paid $5500. Was that a fair price? Just about everything works and works like new. So far i've changed some light bulbs and repaced the old tires.

Does this car have different brakes than the 88-90 models?

Anything different that is better or worse than other models?

Any suggestions as to how to to extend the life of this car. I don' ask advice unless i intend to take it. I intend to change all fluids and filters including brake fluid. Spark plugs of course.

The light in the glove box is inop. Do i have to pull the whole glovebox out to replace bulb?

The light under the hood is inop. Changed the bulb but still inop. Any suggestions?

Winshield Washers are inop. Washer tank is full. I want to be carefull troubleshooting this as I dont want to run the wipers on a dry windshield.

I bought new horn switches from Speedway in Phoenix hoping to just change the plastic button however it is a different button that looks exactly alike on part of switch that shows. Is changing the whole switch necessary?

Sorry for such a long post but you know how us new reatta owners can be.!!!!!!!

Any and all advice/help will be appreciated. There are quite a few Reattas available for sale here in California. All seem to be rust free but 150,000 miles is common. If anybody is intrested in a Southern California car i can look at it for you. I'd like to help others that enjoy these cars and network with others so we all can keep each others in parts.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Reatta, a world that can put a smile on your face or make you go mad. As to the price, if you are happy, that's all that counts. Low mileage units are getting harder to come by, so you must pay higher prices for nice cars. The 91 is the only Reatta not equipped with the Teves braking system. Go to www.reatta.net posted there is a list of how each year model is different. With your comments already posted, you know how to take care of your car. The Reatta powertrain is almost bullet proof. It will last many hundreds of thousands of miles with proper care and sensible driving. Keep the car clean and waxed. Try to always garage your car when not in use. The sun kills the paint and interior. Keep the carpets clean to keep dirt from grinding in. Same is true with the seats. Treat the seats with leather treatment at least once a year, more often if the car is left out in the sun. Watch where you park. Door dings are unsightly. I would also change the wiper blades. Dried out rubber can scratch the windsheild. As to the glove box and underhood light. If the 91 is like the 89, the key has to be on for the glovebox light to work, and the lights have to be on for the underhood light to function. If the glovebox light is indeed burned out, at least on the 89, the box has to be removed. Just remove some screws and pull the box out. The dash on the 91 is different than the 89 but may work the same way. Anyway welcome! If you need any help, this forum is the most helpful you will find.

Howard is correct on his care points, but if you'r worried about the sun damaging your interior/exterior finish you may just want to consider moving here to Washington; We don't have any Sun.

Just kidding, I would suggest that if you plan to show your car, or just keep it for an investment, that you keep it ORIGINAL. Learn what's original from the brand of tires to the water hose clamps. When you have repairs done you'll need to tell your machanic which parts to use, many times even the Buick folks don't know. In general use only Delco replacement parts and Goodyear tires.

Check this site at least twice a week and you'll learn a great deal as we all have.

Good luck, Jerry Vaughan

Guest steveskyhawk

63Viking

Is it necessary to remove the brace in order to pull out the widshield washer tank? I hate to remove a structural member if it can be avoided

steve

Guest steveskyhawk

I believe the wiper and washer share the same fuse. Wipers work so fuse must be good. I really didnt want to take out the structural member. My car is a 91 coupe. Man that spider is creepy!

Booreatta: The sun was out for the BCA Nationals wasn't it,Glad you and everyone else that came enjoyed it; and yes! Washington is a very wonderful state to live in. We have the rolling hills of Kansas (With wheat fields,corn and potatoes) in the North East part of the state, South East is the Deserts of New Mexico with grape vinyards as far as you can see. We have the Mountains and Ski areas of Colorado(The Cascades)running North to South through the center of the state. Also the Tropics of the Olympic Mountains and the Ocean to the far west. Not to mention Puget Sound,Its Islands and ferry boats. Don't tell anyone though,We're trying to keep it a SECRET. Actually New York get more rain than we do. Have a wonderful day, I'm going Salmon fishing tommorow. Jerry