1956 98 Tranny Rear Seal

Jan Zander

Hi, I need to replace the rear tail shaft seal of my 1956 98 hydramatic "O"-type tranny because it is coating the underside of my car with oil (which prevents from rusting but is not really liked by the police, environmentalists and following cars ...).

Does anybody know if this can be done without pulling out the whole engine-tranny unit? Is the real seal put inplace from the inside of the tranny or can it be replaced from the outside like on the 50ies Chryslers?

Thanks,

J

Guest imported_pete324rock

I just realized that my maintenance manual covers your tranny and not mine so maybe I can find an answer for you-a little busy now-give me a day to look-in the meantime here is an image of a rear tranny seal that was on ebay-I save this stuff for reference(part no.s)it may be for the earlier r type-not sure..pete

post-32843-143137947804_thumb.jpg

yes,the rear seal is replaced without removing the tranny-it says that when removing the rear yoke-first thing to do is remove the rear seal with a blunt chisel-then tackle the housing bolts-says that the speedometer gear should be removed as well.Do you have a source for the seal? Oh yeah,there is also a tool that they refer to for installation-nothing new there.hope that is helpful...pete

one more thing,according to fusick,the same seal fits 52-60 all hydramatic-part #8625892. As well,seal part #'s 16871 made by CR and t7038s by Trostel may help you reference it locally at a bearing shop-supposed to fit earlier r type hydramatic.