Buick ID

Saminy

I need some help decoding a vin# for a 1931 Buick. Inside on the passenger side firewall was 31 MOD 8-94. On front of motor on the block was MS7. On passenger side, low on the block was 1248873-2 and under that 3-118. On front right side framerail was Buick 2530053. Any help decoding these would be appreciated.

Saminy

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Saminy:

The number that you give of 2,530,053 was in the 3rd block of frame numbers issued by Buick for Model 94's for 1931. The block of numbers ran from 2,529,995 to 2,530,099, which makes your car the 58th of 105 Model 94's in that block.

This confirms Oracle's decode of the body plate as a 1931 model 94. However, I think you may have misread the number stamped on the engine, as the engine number you give of 2,488,732 is for a 1930 model Buick, which would be a six cylinder Buick engine, not a straight eight as would be correct for 1931. If your car has it's original straight eight in it, you're looking for an engine number that's probably between 2,644,638 and 2,661,647. This block of engine numbers was being used around the time your car was being built.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Saminy:

For your information, Buick built 824 Model 94's for use in the USA, shipped 19 more as export cars in a completed state, and 4 as boxed cars in pieces, so that a total of 847 existed worldwide by the end of the model year. That's a rare car.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Saminy:

If the 1248873-2 and the 3-118 are "cast on" numbers, those are the Buick part number and a date code, probably for 3/1/31. The stamped number I referrred to is STAMPED IN (not cast) somewhere around the front valve cover plate.

Regards, Dave Corbin