parts dealers

rybikowsk

has anyone as of late had problems with one of the major packard parts dealers.there is one I have spent a lot of money with over the last year. they have messed up more orders then they have gotten right.recently they sent me two radiator hoses, both were wrong.I have a 49,22nd series with a 288 engine, what could be simpler.I ruined the top hose trying to make it fit,the bootom hose was three or four inches to short,I contacted them, they said they would send the right hose after a month or so, I gave up,went to napa and bought the hoses, I was trying to be supportive of the dealer that is why I paid them more then I had to pay napa.I returned the lower hose,cost around forty dollars with shipping, the packard parts dealer refunded twenty dollars, there are more things,tryingto support this dealer reminds me of the old maxim, no good deed goes unpunised

Guest imported_PackardV8

Sincerly u have my sympathy.

I assume u are a young man with little or no automotive experience or background and probably never bought a car new or used from a dealer???? Wise NOT too. Always buy used from a private individual or company not acting as a dealer.

There are common tales and character references about lawyers and bankers and telemarketers. Those professions are saintly compared to the purveyors of the auto industry. I grew up in it. It's BLOOD THIRSTY!!

Guest 1956Packard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PackardV8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sincerly u have my sympathy.

I assume u are a young man with little or no automotive experience or background and probably never bought a car new or used from a dealer???? Wise NOT too. Always buy used from a private individual or company not acting as a dealer.

There are common tales and character references about lawyers and bankers and telemarketers. Those professions are saintly compared to the purveyors of the auto industry. I grew up in it. It's BLOOD THIRSTY!!</div></div>

Yes, but still......

I have had issues with one of the major suppliers as well. I avoid that company now. In my view we pay a premium for these parts, I'd like to think I could get a little better than supermarket part store service for that premium.

Guest imported_PackardV8

The problem is that the dealers have no competition. SO, they can be as independent as they want to be. That's why i started the 55-56 x-Ref so many years ago.

I wish I were young, I am old. I also have a great history in the automobile bussiness. I have in the past been the overall general manager of a car dealership, I have done it all parts sales service detailing etc,I may write like a kid,I think im entering my second childhood.

I have waited for a reply from the packard parts place.NO LUCK.the parts place is kanters, they have messed up more of my purchases then not.

I have a parts book,the lower radiator hose is not in the parts book.there are two hoses and a metal tube.also how difficult can it be when they have the information,it being a 1949 22nd series 288 engine.It could have been a 23rd series, no different, on and on. When I ran a parts dept if someone gave me this much info,I would have no problem giving the the right part.what kind of book do I need to get a proper refund.They refunded at first twenty dollars, I emailed the Kanters.In a couple of days I get a email saying they made a mistake, the refund was now up to thirty dollars.still wrong, they sent a wrong part.they did not refund the sent shipping or returned shipping. what book corrects that??

Guest imported_PackardV8

Kanters cataloug does NOT have part numbers listed.

FuRTHERMORE: one should NOT have to ask wehather NOS, NORS, repop or anything else. IT should be listed in the vendors catalouge!!!!!

I have Indian m/c vendor listings from at least 4 different vendors and for 20+ years they list part number AND source of part. This also true for Cushman and other vendors i've dealt with.

One of the reasons I have ordered more parts from Max Merrit then Kanters is the fact that Max Merrit lists the Part Number, the Group number, and many of the items in the online catalog have pictures.

Why this has no bearing on the current problem you are having, I just thought I would mention it. I also tend to look parts up at Max Merrit to see if visually it is the same thing I am looking at on my car, then I can check both vendors for the best price.

• 2 weeks later...

no it has not been resolved, I emailed the kanters within a couple of days I got a message from the packard parts dept that they had made a mistake instead of twenty dollars they owed me thirty dollars, I have yet to see thirty, I emailed back that they owed me the shippind for the wrong thing sent to me, and the shipping that I had to pay to send it back.I never heard another word. thanks. michael rybikowsky