Reatta Sandwich! (ouch!!)

churchman

Those with experience, enlighten me!

So, what happens (insurance-wise) with these situations? Let's say for the sake of discussion, the Reatta has a blue-book of $3,000 and there is judged to be $3,500 in damage...does the Reatta get fixed? Does the insurance say "Here's $3,000 now go away but you gotta give-up the car"...etc.

I suspect there are a multitude of possibilities. I would like to know what garbage the insurance companies like to pull with special cars like our Reattae.

It would probably help our friend with the "sanwiched car" & help all of us if in the future we have a problem like this. Thanx!

If you are in a state that allows it...research the laws on collectable automobiles (go on the internet and educate yourself), approach the tortfeisers insurance company with "INHERENT DIMINISHED VALUE". If they discount the idea, by all means be nice, but be a thorn in their side and litterally pester the heck out of them, and when that doesn't do any good which it may not, finally speak to an attorney...a few contacts with an aggressive attorney will do the trick if the the other options fail...it will cost you 1/3 of the settlement though. Do not discount the Reatta, it is a Collectable Automobile and does have COLLECTOR VALUE smile.gif. Good Night smile.gif

if the insurance agrees on who is at fault in this case the truck and trailer depending on your state depends on if the car is considered a total loss also depends on mileage and wear and tear in colorado for instance if the damage exceeds more then 20% of the cars value it becomes totaled but in texas if the damage is more then 35% of the cars value it becomes salvage example car is worth $10,000 retail if it is branded salve in new mexico its worth 50 percent now its worth 5000 retail minus damage 2500 once fixed 5000 again i bought a 2006 mustang salv from colorado last week 3,000miles damaged pass door and rt rear 1/4 panel for 3200.00 it cost me 2100.00 in parts and labor including rear glass 1/4 glass new door etc now its worth around 6500 in new mexico but in texas there is no more salvage it comes a regular title under remarks it states previous salvage wich means previous not anymore after it registered again its clean a simple loop hole in texas soon to end so bottom line it worth 10k in texas and a goverment empolyees federal credit union is supposed to cut me a check by thurs for9500.00 a school teacher is financing it... now if they offer you money simpley ask what is my car worth to you considering how bad it looks take 2500 and offer to keep the car and save them money on towing storage and auction fees... copart auctions sold a 91 covertible reatta from alb a couple months back for 350.00 plus auction fee of 200.00 and transport of 250.00 left door and 1/4 panel were hit by a ups truck so car is being parted out on car-part.com.... let me know what they offer you i have a transport and im interisted if you want to sell it..

My red Reatta was totalled due to a hail storm. Its sad, yes, but I hate red. And brown. I really do. I love black and blue. Couldnt find a blue one, so i got a black one. I dont think that answered your question, but...........anyways, The car was valued at $3900, and unless I could find a shop that would repair ALL the damage for $2200, it was totaled. I have State Farm, by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: style</div><div class="ubbcode-body">still have it how much? </div></div>

is that begin directed towards me?

I'm still waiting on the insurance adjuster to come out and take a look. The insurance company said that I didn't need to get an estimate, that the adjuster would take care of that. I got one anyway. Just a little over $3500. (Good guess AlanAnt) I figure if I can get the $3500 and they total it, that's not too bad since it was for sale anyway. However, I like the idea of offering to take less without the total and then selling it. I already have a local party interested in it if I go that route. I'll let you all know what happens. In the meantime, here's another pic.

post-40630-143137948228_thumb.jpg

"Cars That Matter" is the newest pricing guide on the market. About the size of a NADA book but thicker. The 90 Reatta coupe's value is listed as follows. Use it to make a case for value with the insurance adjuster.

Catagory:

4. $2,500

3. $5,000

2. $7,400

1. $9,800

Most Reattas in well cared for condition would fall into Cat 3 or 2. Cat 4 is junk and cat 1 is concours. These valus are based on actual sales. Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

I got the settlement offer from the insurance company. $3143 and the car is totaled. Or $2496 and I can keep the car. I chose to keep the car. Not as much as I had hoped for, but considering the high mileage and minor damage done in a previous accident, it's not bad. The car was for sale anyway, and I would have taken $3500 for it before this incident. It's drivable and the damage isn't too bad, so I think I'll keep it a while. I'll end up with a "salvage" title on it, but I guess that's ok. The cool thing is that between this settlement and the check I got from the previous accident, it adds up to $100 less than I paid for the car 2-1/2 years ago. (Gotta think positive!)