29 DA

Guest pat gill

Guest pat gill

Hi, I blew the engine on my 29 DA at the weekend! on my way to Goodwood race circuit in the UK, the engine had been rebuilt in south africa before I bought the car, the main bearings are seperate shells marked on the back "Ring True DETROIT" sept 22 1925 29 AD 3060, the big ends are cast into the rods, one had completely disintegrated into small granular pieces, not melted or worn through, all the white metal (babbit) is in the oil pan, it had not run out of oil or oil pressure, are there any later rods that will fit this engine and take normal bearings? or can the rods be modified? is ther anyone who has a gsk. set or just a head gsk. HELP, there are not many early Dodges in the UK and no spares at all, Thanks, Pat

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

The August September 2007 Dodge Brothers Club News listed vendors. It runs 6 pages of fairly small print so not sure it would scan. I could try to scan or copy and mail a copy to you.

Try egge machine for bearings and other than gasket stuff.

Try Romar, Roy's Dodge parts and myers early dodge

I can send you the links. But try googling them first.

The 1931 Chilton interchange manual does not hold much hope for a wide range of interchangeable main bearings or connecting rod bearings.

Romar does machine work

Paul

I have a couple of spare 29/30 DA engines if you are in need of internal parts I would not mind breaking one of them down and sending you what you need, let me know

• 3 years later...
Guest Backyardmechanic

Pat,

I can almost bet my last $ that the rod that went was # 6 :( you state that the engine was rebuilt. yeap! If this is the case the rear main bearing wasn't groved to let oil flo to the # 6 rod.The oil grove that oil the main is offset,the oil hole that oils the rod is center a grove must be cut from the offset main oil grove to the center hole to oil the #6 rod. We are talking about the main bearing on the block.

Vern From ROMAR

Edited by Backyardmechanic (see edit history)

The original post wa smade in 2007, I offered to help him back then and never heard another word, I guess he either figured it out on his own or decided to go with a small block chevy