56 ford to 5.0

Guest 1929Chandler

Guest 1929Chandler

Hello everyone, I have a friend who has a 56 2 door post. With 292 auto. He is getting older and wants me to change it to a 5.0 (302) with p/s p/b . He just had his auto trans completely rebuilt last year. I was wondering if anyone had sugestions for places or sites to look for adaptor kits for motor to trans. Various parts I will need for update on p/s & p/b . Any help will be appricated .

Roger chandler29@charter.net

I bought a kit from a local shop that is no longer in buisness to install the 351 in my 55 sunliner,I have been hearing that some factory ford mounts will work too. I seen pics of 63/64 galaxie 289 mounts with about one inch spacers between the mount and block and I think the lower hole in the frame needs a little ginding,I also heard a mid 80s mustang mount will set the engine in with no modifications and will be trying that next year on a friends 56 parklane. Check on the yahoos group wagonville II as its for 50 to 59 ford wagons and many has done that swap,cant help on p/s but there are r/p kits available and I heard a bronco II booster will fit and I will be trying a 70s F 100 booster this winter. Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1929Chandler

Thanks for the help Jeff, I have been in Tenn. at the Shades of the past Rod Run. What a turn out!!! Estimated 8000 rides there. Everything you could think of from antiques, custom,Orignal,RAT rods,Trucks,Bikes,Any and everything you could think of. I was there for 3 days still did not see them all.

Back to the 56 We are thinking of just building the 292 back (a little hotter) . I can not find what we need in adaptor plate for 302 to his OEM trans. Roger

• 4 months later...

Roger, if you can find one, and they are out there, have you thought of putting a 312 in it? I built a 312 back in the 60's and it was a hell of a motor (until I slung a rod through the side of the motor). Would crank 8 grand and ran like a top. Cut 060 off the heads, bored it .125 (324CI) and had a Crane cam and dual point distributor in it. It ran like a bat out of hell. Had it in a 57 Ford Customline 4 dr. .. Was so cool to whip up on some bowties ...