Hard Pedal..ABS Brake Problem

vgabro

...has reared its ugly head on my '91 TC (3.0L 6 cyl auto). My shop says I need a new Hydraulic Control Assy, new Accumulator and assorted relays.

From browzing the TC Newsletter, looks I could be in for maybe $1,675 + shipping. With labour thrown in, I'm looking at about $2,200 for a 'fix'. Has anyone replaced the ABS brake system with just regular brakes and if so, any pitfalls to look out for re the change over and what sort of cost am I looking at for going that route ?

Any help , advice, on this problem would be gratefully received. I'm located in Atlanta, GA.

Regards

George

Guest StudeDude 01

George----contact Larry Carlson @ TCPARTS.COM. Last post I saw re: this issue was on 3/13/06. A reman'd unit which includes the accumulator, actuator, pump, 3 way switch, tank and lines cost $549 and included a 3 year warranty. Check with Larry to see if the cost has increased but I believe this is the best way to go.

George

I just recieved an actuator, pump from Larry at TCPARTS.COM. Cost was $655.00 for a recondition unit with a $150.00 core charge refund when you send the core back.

If you have to have a shop do the replacment, go to a Buick dealership service shop. The Buick Regatta has the same brake system and they have a lot of experience change out these parts. Total replacement including Larry's cost and Buick shop cost was was little over $1200.00.

Depends on your idea if the car is worth it or not. My opinion, unless the body is really in bad shape (rusted out and damaged) every TC is worth saving. I own 3 now and I'm looking a 4th that also has bad brakes.

There are those out there that just look at the replacement parts and see a gold mine. They do not want to wait until the future when the car will again be worth big bucks.

Again that just my Opinion.

Good luck on your repairs.

If you decide to it's not worth it to fix---- PM me I might be just be interested in a 5th.

Glad to hear you keep them running, Ive been saving some cars since the 70s then it was Corvairs, I never considered the $ value. If I liked it, I ran it, and altho the TCs hurt my back,(Arthritis), I like em, Maintain them in the best tradition, and run the heck out of them. Mrs.Z has an '89 with 22,000 mi., and I'm this close to an '89 with 25,000 mi..Yel/Gin/Bla.Twins.. Good Luck, Lou

Recently acquired 89 TC. Good driver/bad stopper. Hard pedal; slows down well but it's good to know early if you want to stop. I'm thinking the electric boost pump has failed. I am wondering about switching to a different system if possible. Also:odometer doesn't work and how do I set the clock? Chrysler Infinity radio w/cassette. FOX49 Dexter,Mich

with odometer does the rpm gauge work? if neither works could be the speedo sensor. if just rpm and not speedo or odo, its time for a replacement cluster.

infinity radio is easy to program, do a search on the web, i cant recall the procedure at the moment, i normally do it like its second nature, hard to explain

Hi,

Hard Pedal== First place to look. inside right fender panel (passenger side0 There should be a black plastic assembly about 2" wide x 4" long plugged into it are 3 relays (Black, Yellow, Green, and 2 fuses). This may (should) be covered with a black plastic snap on cover. Any of the relays could cause it and any of the fuses could cause it, fuses and relays could be good; but contact to the push-on clips in the plastic housinc could be bad. the heavy Red or Red/White or Red/Black wires carry the juice to make the pump function correctly.

On your computer, go to the Buick Reatta pages (same brakes, better info) www.reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html print out the troubleshooting pages and take 10 min. to go thru it . It is very good and enlightening..

Good Luck,

Lou

Hi Again,

Odometer === Inside the speedometer head are plastic gears (usually blue) they like to shear teeth Larry Carlson info@tcparts.com can supply gears or can rebuild your unit

Wishing you more good fortune, Lou

• 2 weeks later...

I had a brake job done last year on my '89. The Chrysler dealership found rotors but could not find calipers. Finally, they checked with a local shop (in MA) and found a reconditioned set. They managed to do all four for under $1000. Mostly out of nostalgia, I think. From what I hear, everyone at the dealership had to stop by and pay their respects.

So look around your local part refurb shops for parts. You may be surprised.

sg3

• 2 weeks later...