1953 New Yorker Hubcap ID Help Please

Guest CharlesinMaine

Guest CharlesinMaine

My Chrysler 1953 New Yorker w/continental kit I have been told has the wrong hubcaps (possibly oldsmobile?) A person wants these hubcaps real bad. He sais that he will trade for a set of correct caps for the New Yorker. Can anyone clarify my present caps as to being the wrong ones and point me to a photo of what I should expect in a trade for correct caps? Many Thanks

Charles In Maine Here is a photo of present caps:

hemicap.jpg

Those hubcaps are Oldsmobile Fiesta spinners. First used on '53 Fiesta convertibles, then used on other '53, '54 and '55 Oldsmobiles. Do a search on eBay and see what they are selling for before you give them away for a set of Chrysler caps. You may be better off selling them and buying a Chrysler set. I don't know what Chrysler caps are worth, but I'm guessing the Fiestas are worth more.

Here's a link to a pair of '53 Chrysler caps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-CHRY...sspagenameZWD1V

and here's a link to a set of Fiesta spinners that sold recently. These have been ruined by the addition of bullet centers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-1955...sspagenameZWDVW

Paul

charles,i think you have that beauty i saw on ebay.real nice car. chrysler caps do not sell for the same high price as the olds caps. i bought a set for my 54 windsor convertible at a swap meet for $40. they are the ones that say chrysler on them, not correct for my year but they are the ones i wanted.the 54 new yorker caps are nicer,IMHO, than the correct ones for your year.if i were you i would certainly want the correct ones, but i would get them for a fair trade[ maybe he needs to give you some cash too] and then i would put whatever caps i like best on the car.there is a 54 new yorker for sale on this forum, or look on ebay at variuos years and get what you like. dennis