Eastwood Chassis Black - Any Good?

Steve Braverman

I'm finally getting started on the assembly of my 1933 Franklin Olympic's chassis. I had the frame painted by the local body shop in gloss black enamel, and it looks good. Now I want to paint all the other chassis parts (springs, axles, etc.). Has anyone used Eastwoods's gloss chassis black? It makes promising claims. I would be using a gun, not an aerosol.

Any opinions?

I'd go with the same paint that the body shop used. It will be cheaper than buying it mail order and will hold up just as good.

I use for chassis parts-

PPG's Omni MBC base- when I need a satin finish

Dupont's Nason Ful-cryl - Acrylic Enamel

Dupont Centari- Acrylic Enamel

PPG Concept Urethane when I need a hard paint with a good shine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdbraverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you like it? Will the AACA judges like it? </div></div>

I don't know if AACA judges would like it or not. I don't have my car judged. If done properly, I don't know how they would know. There are different sheens available.

I also used it on an old pop-up camper chassis that had a bunch of surface rust on it. I brushed off the flakes and applied the Chassis Black, and it held up very well.

It seems like a more of an "idiot-proof" product than using regular paint. This will me my first time painting anything, and I need all the help I can get.

I feel that most cars of this era on the show fields are over-restored. Most people paint the entire undercarriage with a high-gloss paint. I doubt that production cars ever had super-shiny spring shackles and the like.

I sent an e-mail to Eastwood asking about the use of Chassis Black on springs. I'm awaiting their reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used it. It's as hard as a rock. Not sure how it would withstand the flexing of springs. </div></div>

West, when you say it's hard, do you mean it cracks easily, or was the adhesion good? Is it similar to POR-15?

I wrote to Eastwood, and they assured me that their product has been used on springs in the past with good results.