High pitch sound

Tacoma

Lately I'm getting a subtle high pitch "Wherring" sound in my engine compartment. Under the hood it sounds like it is coming from the timing belt area. It increases and decreases when I step on the gas feed and /or let up on it.

It dosn't seem to effect the engine operation,Electrical or anything else that I can determine.

Any suggestions as to

Guest MauiWowee

When the alternator in my van did that, I had one day before it was fried. Carefully, hold a LONG screwdriver to your ear, then the alternator. (unless you have a stethescope). cool.gif

Anything that rotates in that area can be the problem. Alternator, ps pump, water pump, AC compressor, or tensioner. The stethoscope/screwdriver is a great idea. Be careful. First thing I would do is disconnect the serpentine belt and run it for a few minutes. That could eliminate all of the above. Past that use the method above to see if any of the components are the source.

Thanx Guy's

I disconnected the serpentine belt, ran the engine for about 15 seconds and did not get the high pitch sound. Is there any way that I could have the belt too tight and is there an adjustment for the tensioner (or other things on the belt such as PS,AC etc:) on the belt.

Thanx

Guest MauiWowee

What you have done is to narrow your search down to the things listed in Vincent Vega's post. Use my method (I can't stress enough how dangerous this is) to find exactly which one of the above it is.

Good luck cool.gif

I bought an actually 1/2 way decent automotive stethascope (sp) at Harbor Freight for $1.99 to replace a real one a nurse gave me...It has an attachment, and was almost quality made even if it was manufactured in china.....think it is about $4.00 regular price.

I am on the coupon mailing list for Harbor Freight...some far out bargins every week over and above their regular sales paper....HF is now my favorite "Toy Store" smile.gif

If you are not a professional technician or a showman, HF products that you may use a couple of times are just fine.

Thanks again guys.

I put the belt back on and the whine has receded grately. Don't know what it was but the alternator seems to be charging fine. Took it for a test drive. (A little cowel shake at 110 mph but thata all) Only kidding. Seems OK so far. Wonder if the belt may have been off track a bit.

My daughter is an RN at St Joseph hospital here, She is bringing her stethoscope over tommorow. Hopefully I can narrow it down more then.