Hard Starting 41-41SE

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

Howdy all. Since we got the '41, it has always been a bit tough to start, particularly if it sat for a while. I nearly killed the battery Sunday morning in Bellevue in an attempt to get it started to load it on the trailer.

Last night, to get it off the trailer, I pulled off the air cleaner and poured a bit of gas into the carbs...it sure is nice having the starter switch on the throttle.

Once it is running and warmed up a bit, everything is fine. I know there are a myriad of possibilities, but my thought that if it starts OK when I supply fuel is that the fuel pump may be weak and require a rebuild, or perhaps a pinhole in a fuel line.

Any thoughts? I'd love to drive this car more, but need to be able to start it consistently to do that.

Thanks.

In most cases, I've found that your problem is due to the fuel in the system evaporating due to intermittent use. Therefore, by the time the starter has spun the engine long enough to pump juice to the carb, the battery is almost dead. I've cured this problem on a couple of cars by installing an electric fuel pump with an underdash switch as close to the gas tank as possible. Before starting, run the electric pump until is quits clicking. Then your system is full of fuel all the way into the float bowl allowing instant (more or less) ignition without wearing down the battery. Assuming the rest of the engine components are in good condition, you'll find that starting is a LOT faster with much less wear and tear on battery and starter motor.

Guest unclefogey

Derek,

My experience on the cross country odessey from St. Paul to Seattle and return in my '41 in 100+ temperatures was as follows:

In the time that it took to pump the 10 to 15 gallons of gas at a fuel stop, check the oil and go inside to buy a couple of cold bottles of water, on restart she would turn over and over almost to the point that I thought I would kill the battery before she would start. Cut the start time down a little in this situation by immediately opening the hood (carb side) when I stopped at the gas station.

But pull into a motel for the night in the same temperatures and not start her again until the next morning, she would pop right off. This was with the fuel pump that died two miles out of Bowman, ND, the old replaced pump that I put in, in the Super 8 parking lot, and the rebuilt pump I put in, in Seattle.

I think it might be a primary carb rebuild time for your '41. After rebuilding my carb, the sitting time from the last driving where she would start in a reasonable time interval was increased. But why not also throw in a rebuilt pump also. The cost for both will be less than replacing just the pump in today's modern cars.

By the way, nice meeting you and your family in Seattle. My friend was duly impressed with your son's enthusiasm over seeing another '41 pull into the show field on Wednesday. I don't think you have to worry about if anyone will be interested in your cars when you get too old to drive them.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks guys. So, I drove it Wednesday at the meet, then not again until Sunday. It then spent about 10 days on the trailer...both the Sunday morning and the Wednesday evening were tough, which goes along with the possibility of fuel drain / evaporation.

This morning, she fired right up to get washed again...she'll be in a local show tomorrow (expecting something like 1,000 cars, at least if the weather looks better than it does right now). I'm a lot less worried right now, but I'll probably take a bit of fresh gas with me. I'll also be compiling the responses so that I can take a look at everything suggested.

John - it was good meeting you too...the boys have both made suggestions about them getting cars in the future. I guess I need to do some restoration work so that we can get to where we have enough Buicks to drive when the kids are able...which means I've got about 10 years to get another two cars on the road.

Hey Derek, you can always check with me if you need a running car for the boys. I have a few to spare ( I think).

I had a chance to buy back a car dad bought new in 67. Oops, not a Buick, but a nice 67 Coronet 500. ( you are the first to hear it.)

I plan to take vital fluids to start it, after a few years 'on ice', next weekend.

That Caballero is getting close to being too far out on the projects list to hang on to!! I can see Luke behind the wheel of a boattail.....

See you tomorrow at the downtown cruz.

Cheers.