Power-steering pump gone bad?

bigsteviejoe

I hear groning noises when I turn the wheel. Is it the powersteering?

What should be replaced? How much should it cost if I take it to a garage?

I'm also hearing a winding noise that changes pitch with engine RPM, could this be coming from the same thing or is it a cold transmission?

In case you still want your original question answered: A remanufactured Power Steering Pump without the Reservoir is about $60.00 including a $10.00 Core charge, which you will get back. The pump with the Reservoir runs about $75.00. I buy the one with the Rservoir. They are easily obtainable through NAPA, Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc. A dealership will likely have one, expect a much higher price. The AutoZone unit I bought was, in my opinion, junk ... the first two were defective so I got my money back and went to NAPA.

A shop charges anywhere between $60.00 and $120.00 per hour labor and this may be a two-charged-hour job for them. It is one you can do if you are patient. John

• 4 weeks later...

thanks

The topping up worked, but the fluid kept dissappearing within a couple days.

I did manage to drive the car pretty far (over 3000km up till now).

The mechanic is saying the high-pressure hose is leaking as well as the cooler. For some reason I cannot find what "the cooler" is on Rockauto. High pressure hose does not appear too expensive, what do you suppose a cooler costs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vincent Vega</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What year? 88's don't have a finned cooler. It's just a line that passes in front of the condenser. </div></div>

Oh thats what that is. It doesn't appear to have much cooling capacity. I can't imagine one of those costing too much. I can't imagine why they didn't want to mess with it.

Anyone with suggestions of an appropriate aftermarket one, maybe one off a newer Buick?