Soft Top problems

I took off the hard top and tried to put up the soft top. It is new. I attatched the front with the latches but could not get the rear latch pins to line up with the holes to engage them with the pulldown mechanism. You would need 3 people to do the job, one for each pin and one to operate the switch. The pins are too far forward of the holes and snag on the tourneau cover. I tried locking them first and then latching at the front. I could not do it. Is there some secret,I don't know? I can't imagine trying to do this in a downpour.

Colin

Ouch, it sounds like it was not installed correctly on the frame. My advice is take it to a local shop that installs convert soft tops and see if they can give you a bit of adjustment. You also might try just letting it soften up in the sun and with the rear; pins locked just press down on the front and get a bit of stretch. If that does work and you get the front latches to lock do not un lock them until the top has cooled off so the stretch sets. The touneu cover is adjustable btw, using a panel screw driver (big flat screw driver with a 3/8 inch slot cut in the end) pull the Christmas tree fasteners from around the hinge area and you will find 4 bolts to adjust its fit.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is 105C in sunny Moab UT. I resequenced the latches and managed to engage the pins, after leaving the car in direct sun with the front latches closed for about an hour. I left it in the sun for another hour, and I will leave it overnight, under the carport. Tomorow, I'll leave it in sun then pull down the pins and leave it overnight again. Hopefully that will do the trick.

If the pins are 'too far forward' of the holes, then loosen the six 15mm bolts that hold down the soft top (with the softop unlatched lift it clear of the tonneau, you will see three 15mm bolts perside, best done with a friend) and slide the wholle asssembly back 3/8"s or so. ALWAYS seat/engage/lock the rear pins BEFORE you latch the front. You can rest the front hooks gently on top of the the windshield header but dont make the pull down motor work against fully latched front hooks...

Alan

Speaking of soft top issues. How can I adjust the center rail, it sags to much in the middle of the window. I've tried to adjust the center rail bolt and the serrated plate further back. On the driver side I couldn't get the serrated plate screw loose at all, maybe it needs some oil. Same hanging low in the middle on that side. The tonneau catches on the soft top on the way up and down a little now. Thanks, and protect your eyes on the 4th.

Not sure I am fully understanding your question Bill, but then we did drink a substantial amount of beer at the lake tonight. Good thing my wife is DD... If your top is catching the tonneau on the way up/down, it should be slid forward just a scosh, same as described in the previous post. If it sags in the middle, are you sure the suppot beams on both side still have a bolt thru them? One time I tried to help a friend fold his top and it was flaccid/sagging in the mid section (yeah I know insert middle aged joke here...) and one of the support struts ahd lost it's bolt so it was holding nothing. The top still folded normally once that point was exceeded.

Alan

Dear TwinCamFan,- Thanks for the info.I have the 1991 Blue Book and that tells me to latch the front and then pull down the rear pins. What you say makes sense, but when I tried it with my top, I could not latch the front, hence the attempt to stretch the fabric. Incidently, I spent alot of time trying to locate non-existent side latch pins before removing the hardtop. You would think Chrysler would have updated the information in the book, for such an expensive car!

Guest LouZ

Hey I'm gonna stick my 2 pennies in here, I used to run a Trim Shop in New York.. Did a lot of Convertable tops.. You Can't stretch them for the long term. That material can break your metal top frame ans surely break the plastic pull dawn. When it was installed no allowance for shrinkage was made you can get good results in a top over the long haul bu following one of 2 procedures . Partially install the top Steam it from the inside, wait 1 hour and then complete the installation (preshrink) or allow looseness when installing, it will take about 1 week to tighten up.. Too many installers put it on tight (looks better to the customer) and you suffer later. If it were mine I would be taking the front bow apart looking for enough extra material to refasten it looser.. Good luck.. It's like trying to stretch the waistline of a pair of pants that shrunk in the closet.. Lou