Head light switch

abelincoln

Been fooling with the light switch as the lights do not seem to work correctly.  I notice the Ford switch has four terminals, one for power from circuit breaker, one feed to headlights via fog light switch and dimmer switch, one feed for tail and dash lights, and one feed for tail lights.  Lincoln has 5 terminals.  The extra has a no. 12 wire attached.  What is this wire for?

Thanks

Abe

Ford SW.JPG

Lincoln SW.JPG

Tom thanks.  The Herrel diagram is easier to decipher than the one in the service manual.  Although, someone with lots of patience should make a clean CAD version as the printing is tough to read.

It appears that there are two no. 12 wires from the circuit breaker to the light switch.  One of mine is disconnected and checks out as an open circuit.  My theory is that the headlights have a separate source from the tail and dash lights, so I can wire around the open circuit with an aftermarket switch.

I don't know any thing about the problem that you are trying to fix, but if you look at the switch drawing that you posted, the H terminal feeds the head lights, the B terminal on the right feeds the instrument, tail, license and fog lights. The P terminal feeds the parking and tail lights in the park position. The B on the left has the voltage for the lights fed by the B terminal on the right side and the parking lights. The R terminal is the supply line for the head lights and is protected by the circuit breaker.

Your theory about the headlights having one source and the other lights having another source to the switch is correct.

The headlight source (R terminal) comes from the out put of one of the circuit breakers to the R terminal of the switch. If you do not have voltage on that terminal, the circuit breaker is defective.

The other source (B on the left) going to the switch, comes from  the output of the other circuit breaker.  If you do not have voltage on that wire, the circuit breaker is defective.

I would not wire around either circuit breaker. They are there to protect against fires.

If I can be of further help, please describe the symptoms of your problem.