Were can I get parts for my 54 Chieftain?

Hello, I just purchased a 1954 Pontiac Chieftain 2-door. They only classic cars I've ever owned were Mustangs (65 Fastback, 67 Coupe, 68 GT) and I have no Idea were to get parts for my Chieftain. I've tried searching the internet, but nothing seems to come up. Luckly the car is complete but I imagine I will have to find parts for it eventually and I was wondering if anyone knows were I should look. Also, I am trying to decide on whether or not to use the straight eight thats in it or if I should put a 350 in it instead. Are the Straight eights high maintenence? Thanks for your help!

Guest Albert

Try looking for Chev parts of the same year, a friend had a pontiac Chieftain and used the front fenders for the chev, the only difference is the motors, chev used the over head valve motors, Pontiac have the flatheads..

• 4 weeks later...

When you mentioned that your friend used fenders off a Chevrolet on his Pontiac, I thought you were in Canada and a check of your profile confirmed that. In the 40's and 50's, Canadian Pontiacs used Chevrolet bodies with only trim differences. This was not the case with the U. S. cars. Also, in the late 50's and the '60's, Canadian Pontiacs used Chevrolet engines and Powerglide transmissions, while the U. S. Pontiacs used Pontiac engines and Hydra-Matic transmissions.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I purchased a 54 Pontiac about 2 years ago. Running, but in rough shape. I have the straight 8 in it as well. Since it runs, I'm going to try and give it a mild rebuild and keep it, or i will have to go to the SB chevy as well. I havent been able to find motor mounts for them though. But Kanter is a great place for rebuild kits for the cars if you need that.

Hope this helps.