34 Packard shift lever pivot pin

34couperoadster

Shifting gears on my 34 8 coupe roadster is extremely difficult. Excessive and very sloppy play in shift lever appears to be caused by sheared/worn off pivot pin in ball on end of shift lever. Can anyone tell me how/what I can do to replace this pin?? How is it held in ball? Will greatly appreciate any help or suggestions!! Thanks!

Gosh, it's been decades since I had one of these apart, they usually never give trouble unless abused. As I remember, the pivot pin goes thru the center of the pivot ball in left-to right orientation; its a round pin which is milled on each end to a rectangular (not knife-edge) profile. There is I believe a small spring under the left side which keeps the cane at the right side of the 'H' pattern when at rest. There is another pin further down which as I remember serves to locate and retain the conical coil spring which holds the ball in the socket. If indeed your pivot pin is broken or badly worn, making a new one from round drill rod should be an enjoyable project, but I think I'd harden the ends. If you need more info or dimensions I can go take the cane out of my spare 34 transmission and examine in more detail.

Gosh, O. D., You are certainly great on the help comeback! The small spring on mine is on the right side of the shifter when facing it from the driver's seat. It appears that at one time there might have been a ball atop this spring but if so it is long gone now. Am I right about a ball needing to be atop this spring?

On mine, both rectangular ends of the pivot pin are completely sheared of flush with the ball itself, so there is absolutely no stability for the shift cane. Does this pin go through the ball from left to right from driver's seat position or front of car? Just want to be sure about this before we try to drive it out! Or do you think it would be better to try to drill it out?

Again, many thanks for your help and suggestions!!!

Been too long ago to remember the details of the small spring that keeps the cane in the default right side of the H pattern, but as I remember it was pretty intuitively obvious how it worked; no recollection of the small ball but just checking the parts book should resolve this.

As to the pin, I would doubt very much that it was tapered and thus should press or tap out from either side; try it and if it resists too much, then try from the other side. I'd turn my new one to about 0.0015" larger in diameter than the cleaned inside diameter of the ball. If sloppy use silver solder as there is really very little stress on this piece, and none to speak of from left to right. Let me know if you need dimensional details of the OAL and end pivot edges.

No need, O.D., I followed your previous instructions, drove out the old pin (came out rather easy), and made a new one over the weekend. Put it in today and now it shifts like it should with no wallowing around of the shift cane!! Will try the oil pressure adjustment in next couple of days or so.

Thanks a million for your help/suggestions!!!!