Need Help...Figuring out year from Serial number (48-50 F1)

Hello, I own a 48 ford f2 which is basiclly just a heavier truck but 48-50's are pretty much all the same when ordering parts and accessories so that wont be an issue when trying to find what parts fit what I can tell you that from experiance.Also try a site at www.rockauto.com for future 48 ford parts and information manuals.In the mean time I am contacting the site where I got my owners manual to see if they can decifer your vin#.Get back to ya. Good luck.

Hello again; i came up with the information you needed. Your vin data plate 98RC431394RIC when decifered goes like this; The 9 is the year (SO YOU HAVE A 49 F--1) The 8 indicates the cylinders (8) R indicates engine type and C indicates 1/2 ton model and the remainder numbers are just assembly numbers. Hope this helps. (www.f100.com) might be a good site to look into for patent data questions fordlovers out there.

• 7 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello again; i came up with the information you needed. Your vin data plate 98RC431394RIC when decifered goes like this; The 9 is the year (SO YOU HAVE A 49 F--1) The 8 indicates the cylinders (8) R indicates engine type and C indicates 1/2 ton model and the remainder numbers are just assembly numbers. Hope this helps. (www.f100.com) might be a good site to look into for patent data questions fordlovers out there. </div></div>

What you stated is partially correct. The "9" was started in 49 and continued into 1950. The only way to tell if the truck is a 49 or a 50 is by its production number. If your production number is high, then it's a 50. If it's low, then it's a 49. Yours is low, so it is a 49.

In 48, the first number of the VIN was an "8".

Check out www.bonusbuilt.com and www.ford-trucks.com for more info and help with your truck. Both have excellent message boards for the Bonus Built trucks.

Ilya

• 5 months later...
Guest RoadkingHI

The web site, rockauto, looks real good! Covers a lot of autos and a lot of years. I will be busy tonight!

Thanks