Emergency Brake - "88 Reatta

My regular brakes work well. This past weekend I was about to go for my annual state inspection. Before going I decided to check out all systems. The emergency brake did not work. I jacked the car up to inspect and followed instruction in the Service Manual. The levers on the rear wheel cylinders turn through their full stroke without moving the piston far enough to force the pads against the disc. It would appear that the self adjusting mechanism within the cylinder piston is not working. Does anyone have any experience with this? Pads were replaced about 25000 miles ago. Pad replacement might bring things back but I do not bellieve that is the answer as it would not correct the nonfunction of the self adjusting mechanism. Is there an adjustment that I am missing? If so how is this done. Thanks

Since you are smart enough to check the operation of the rear levers, here is what I have done on other GM products to put these back into operation, without rebuilding the piston.<BR>Under the drivers door, adjust the parking brake adjustment for MORE slack.<BR>Raise the vehicle and remove the wheel. <BR>Remove the nut from the lever, and disengage the lever from the hex shaft that it is mounter on.<BR>NOTE! Since the shaft has six sides, you can move the shaft 1/6 of a turn (in the direction that the lever moves)and reinstall the lever and get more parking brake.<BR>If the parking brake is badly worn, you may need to move the shaft two increments (2/6) of a turn.<BR>The trick is to move it enough that you can re-engage the lever on the shaft. <BR>If the self adjusting mechanism within the caliper were working it would be doing this for you. <BR>If this doesn't make sense, send me a note.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.