Injector Cleaners

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

Have read all the posts re. "Hard Starting"<BR>and tried several solutions to no avail.<BR> Has anyone had a positive result by using an over the counter Injector Cleaner?<BR> I purchased two cans last year(different brands, as I remember one was twice the price of other) put one in each of two Reattas and noticed no change in either.<P>------------------<BR>Definition of an expert: An ordinary guy from out of town!

I've found that chevron with techron fuel system cleaner work the best. but after doing this it might be wise to change the fuel filter. Also run the cleaner throught with high test. This will help it work better. just my 0.02 worth.<P>Matt Wolfe<P>------------------<BR>If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

While watching some auto program at my daughters, (I live in the boonies and don't have cable) they were cleaning the injectors with a product that came in a can, with pressure and a hose that screws into the fuel rail. <BR>You remove the plastic engine cover, bleed off any fuel line pressure. screw on the provided hose (it may be part of the Deluxe kit) then you attach the bottle (looks like a small fire extinguisher) to the hose. there is a lever valve on the bottle end. <BR>Open the valve, start the car and it runs off the contents of the bottle. When the car dies, the bottle contents are depleted and <BR>injectors are clean.<BR>Reverse the procedure to remove hose etc..... Don't know where to buy one or how much they cost, but it looks like the way to properly clean the injectors. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

my dumb dirtyword Reatta got hard to start. replaced the fuel pump in Dec 99 which solved that problem unitl Aug2K at which time had to replace fuel pump with another new one.<BR>before that i had to have my harmonic balancer replaced; hard to start but was making "metal-to-metal" noises along with being hard to start.<BR>different makes of "motion lotion" dont appear to help (gas).

One more aggressive approach is to pull the injectors and have them cleaned with ultrasound. Caspers Electronics (John Spina)offers this service. Cost was $85.00 and my car idles smoother than ever before. Turnaround time is just a few days but either you need another set of injectors to use, or another car while they are out. The flow is checked and balanced to 1%.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

I agree with Matt, I have heard good things about Techron as well. The Techron is available by itself in a can to add to a tank of fuel but only at select service facilities. Locally it is available at the Mercedes/BMW dealership. I have not used it personally(I had the ultrasonic cleaning done before I new about it), but two people I know swear it worked wonders.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

I had injectors professionally cleaned at a shop a few years ago. Afterwards, the technician told me to use Techron in the future as that is what he and a lot of other shops used.

Something else that works good is xylene or toluene. Put a gallon or two in the tank. It can be found at sherwin williams for around 6 to 7 dollars a gallon. It also works great for a octane booster