Instrument panel lights--23rd Series

Guest CaptainBristol

Guest CaptainBristol

I have a 1950 Standard Eight with an instrument panel that is puzzling me. I can't tell if the lights are working as they are supposed to, or not. I am hoping another owner of a similar Packard can illuminate me. Basically, the instrument lights are exceedingly dim. If I put the car in a completely dark place, turn on the parking lights and then turn on the instrument panel lights, I do see a very faint glow on the panel. It's as if glow-in-the-dark paint starts to glow just a bit. Killing the lights does cause the glow to cease, so there is definitely something electrical going on.

My problem is that when I am driving at night there is usually so much artificial light coming into the car from outside that my eyes simply can't see the gauges on the instrument panel. Therefore I carry a flashlight to make periodic inspections. Not only is the flashlight business a nuisance, but if the flashlight rolls someplace it shouldn't then it becomes a safety hazard, as well.

I have recently ordered a 6-volt bulb package for the Packard and see there are several small bulbs that are marked for the instrument panel. My common sense tells me that so many bulbs must certainly produce more light than I have seen coming from the panel. However, I am very reluctant to go tearing into those brittle old wires, etc, if the condition I am witnessing (i.e. very dim light) is normal.

I welcome any ideas and comments about this topic from other Packard owners and forum members. However, if you feel you must use this post as a springboard to make personal attacks on other forum members, I respectfully request you start a new thread for that purpose and keep this thread on topic.

All the best,

Mark in Alaska

Guest Randy Berger

Mark, we redid the dash in a friend's 1950 Packard and replaced all the dash bulbs. You can stick your head up under the dash and one-at-a-time replace the bulbs. Just be patient unplugging the socket and you won't damage the old wiring. If you have the dash lights turned on as you unplug them you can see if the bulb is burned out or not. I would personally vote in favor of replacing them all as standing upside down with head under dash is not very comfortable. Good luck.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest imported_49packard

I went out tonight and tried the dash lights. You must first turn on the headlights and then the map lights. I can push the map light button several times and the intensity will change. I can read the gages ok-but not great.

I hope this helps

David

Guest CaptainBristol

Sorry, David, but I am confused. On my Packard, the "map lights" are the courtesy lights that come on when you open the front doors. There is also a "map light" switch on the row of push-button switches below the radio speaker. This switch turns on and off the courtesy lights described above.

Can I assume you meant to say you push the "instrument" button multiple times to get the instrument panel lights to become brighter?

Thanks,

Mark in Alaska

Guest imported_49packard

Sorry-That is correct-the button is the inst light next to the headlight. Maplight is several buttons to the right.

I donot have several of the features such as fog lights and those buttons are not operational.

David

Guest CaptainBristol

Thanks for your advice, Randy and David. I am away from the Packard right now and will try your respective approaches to the problem as soon as I get back in the car.

Mark in Alaska

• 2 weeks later...

Just visiting from another forum, but felt I might be able to help. While I not sure just how the panel lights worked on the Packards of the period, I can tell you how the lights worked on Studebakers at that time. I would guess they are close to the same. The panel lights had three componets so to speak. The numbers and needles. They were painted with a phosphorescent material. The second part were domed "black light" filters that were mounted inside the panel assembly at the holes where the light bulbs pluged in. Lastly, the light bulbs themselves. How the panel lights worked, was that the light from the bulb would shine through the black light filter which in turned caused the dash numbers and needles to glow. Over time the paint deterorates, the filters get very dustly and the bulbs burn out. The first step would be to replace the bulbs. The socket just snaps from the back of the panel. Make sure the socket is clean around the area were it comes in contact dash panel hole. The area around the hole needs to be clean as well. Some 000 steelwool should to the trick to polish up things. The cleaning makes sure you have a good ground, thus a brighter light. The next step is much harder. With a q-tip or something like it, very carefully try to clean the inside of the black light dome. These were made of very thin glass so be careful not to shatter them. They will be very difficult to reach and get to. If you want to go to the trouble of removing the whole gauge cluster, this will allow you to remove the backing plate and reach both sides of the filter. It does have almost 60 years of dust on it. As to the paint, I don't have a solution for that. I would not make any attempt to clean the numbers or needles. The bad news, if the paint is in really bad shape, the "glow" just won't happen very well. If the paint is missing, it won't happen at all. By replacing the bulbs and cleaning the filters, you might be able to see the guages a just little better.