Brake System

My husband, Marty, an octogenarian, drives a l990 red Reatta convertible with l06K on the meter. On our just-acquired first-ever computer, I discovered your discussion page and found it fascinating; so recently when Marty's brakes misbehaved, I thought of your group. While backing out of a space and exiting a parking lot, each time the brake pedal was applied, a distinct hum sounded from the area of his knees (no cracks there!) The pedal feel was soft when first applied but the second attempt got a normal pedal reaction. This cycle of soft and normal repeated until we were on the open road to a Buick service center l0 miles away. The hum sounded again when braking into the service area. We reminded the service mgr we had been in just 3 mos. ago for new brakes front and rear and were surprised to have brake problems. After an hour's wait for a technician, the brakes refused to act up for him. We drove the 20 miles home without incident and won't drive it until our appointment next week to have the ABS pulled for a thorough inspection. <BR>Marty loves his Reatta more than me. I hope to make points with him by getting some comment about his problem from the group on the Internet. Also, it might make him want to use the Internet, too. Thanks!

Trying to diagnose a problem long distance is always tricky. The only thing that might HUM on the brakes is the pump motor or possibly one of the ABS solenoids. The dealer should run diagnostics. They should also check the hydrolic pressure. Remember the '88-'90 Teves system used hydrolic pressure for assist (as opposed to vacumn) There is a hydrolic pump, a motor to drive it, the booster assembly and an accumulator that stores hydrolic pressure for multiple pushes on the pedal. <BR>Before writing a check for BIG dollars, get a warranty/guareentee that they have fixed the problem. Many owners have found their Buick dealer just replaces parts until the problem goes away. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Another point to tell the dealer: Check the sensors. You don't mention if you got the brake or ABS indicator lights during your brief drive when things were acting up. I would've expected at least one if not both of those indicators to go on if you were having a soft pedal. If they did light up, then probably everything is okay. If neither lit up, you probably have a bad sensor. That's a cheap fix. I hope you don't have too much more wrong with the car!

bscopatz<BR>We really appreciate your taking the time to address our dilemma! Sorry it took so long for us to find your response. <BR>During the malfunction, no dashboard lights indicated there was a problem. The dealer replaced the accumulator: so far, okay. Meanwhile, we'll practice positive thinking about any more trouble and just enjoy the ride.