Model T guys, need your help!

novaman

I have a friend who is writing a childerns book which includes a Model T Ford coupe. She is writing this based on childhood expericences. She remebers her grandfather needing a push in his T. What would the logical resaonings for the push be? She think he did have the car running and still needed the push but isn't sure. Can you help us/her out? Thanks

Most likely, the push was needed because the battery was low and the magneto weak due to excessive end play in the crankshaft allowing the flywheel-mounted magnets to move away from the field coil. It's also possible, but less so, that the magnets themselves were weak or the entire mag was out of commission due to a short at the contact post. There are several other possibilities but these are the probable causes.

I did a book review for Antique Automobile on that great big Model T book, but am no expert. Assuming that the engine is running, could this problem have related to slipping bands on low gear in the planetary transmission? Come on Tsperts give us something for this writer.

Well let's see??? Had to push it even though it was running blush.gif well it is a F F F F O O R R can't say it, that other car. grin.gifgrin.gif My mother told me never to say the F word. wink.gif <P>Sound like bad bands in tranny? But im no F O R D expert. The Ford Museum may have the answer, these guys are a wealth of knowledge.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by 29CHEVY (edited 10-24-2000).]

Another possibility is a broken rear hub. This was common due to the sharp angle and a reluctance on the part of early mechanics to really tighten the axle nut, a practice for which they were taken to task by the Ford Motor Co.