Ignition switch

I own a 1970 1442. I put the key in the ignition to start it and the key will now not turned backwards to the locking position. The steering wheel turns and I can get it out of park and put it into gear. I just can't get the key out what do I do? Thanks in advance!  I own a 1970 1442. I put the key in the ignition to start it and the key will now not turn backwards to the locking position. The steering wheel turns and I can get it out of park and put it into gear. I just can't get the key out what do I do? Thanks in advance Robert   Petaluma Ca

Your 1970 uses a backdrive linkage from the trans to the steering column that locks the shifter along with the steering column (as was required by federal law). The linkage rotates a collar on the steering column that aligns only in PARK (for an automatic) or REVERSE (for a manual) to prevent the steering column from locking if the car is in motion. Either this linkage is out of adjustment or it was removed to install headers or a floor shifter. 

10 hours ago, Robert Colombo said:

Thanks Joe. My 442 is a 1971. I assume the same rules appt to this year as well as the 1970?  Where is the adjustment for this located? Think it's possible because my key is the original it might be worn and that's why it's stuck? Thanks 

All 1969-up are the same. If the key turns at all, it is not your problem. Again, is the linkage even in place, or was it removed previously? If you look at the rod that comes off the lever on the steering column and runs to the trans, there is an adjustment feature at the lower end.