Manifold differences

deac

I have a 1940 Pontiac Torpedo model 29 coupe.  I am in the middle of an ever expanding project involving the engine; removing the head, manifolds, water pump and cleaning out the block cooling passages and adjusting the valves.  Recently I was able to buy a '40 Torpedo parts car and picked many parts from it including the intake and exhaust manifold.  I had planned on mix/matching the manifolds due to cracks in the intake manifold and that is where I discovered a nuance.  The mounting flanges on the manifolds between the 2 cars do not match and I cannot mix manifolds from the parts car to my car.  From what I have seen on my car I have good reason to believe that the manifolds from the parts car are correct.  Can anyone shed any light on this nuance??? 

Edited by deac (see edit history)

Allen,

I bought original factory color engine paint from Hirsch and it turns out the color they sent for my original motor is a medium to deep green.  In the process of prepping my motor I found the original color to by a light green.  Though Hirsch gets defensive about this claiming there color is correct, it isn't.  In your picture it shows a medium blue.  Though I don't think it is I would be interested to know if there is an original factory color under that blue paint.

By the way the in my first post I was referring to the manifold mounting flanges to the intake and exhaust ports on the side of the engine .

Chris

17 minutes ago, deac said:

Allen,

I bought original factory color engine paint from Hirsch and it turns out the color they sent for my original motor is a medium to deep green.  In the process of prepping my motor I found the original color to by a light green.  Though Hirsch gets defensive about this claiming there color is correct, it isn't.  In your picture it shows a medium blue.  Though I don't think it is I would be interested to know if there is an original factory color under that blue paint.

By the way the in my first post I was referring to the manifold mounting flanges to the intake and exhaust ports on the side of the engine .

Chris

I thought I remember seeing a little bit of green around the bellhousing/clutch cover area but that was a few years ago and could be mistaken. 

Unfortunately I did not remove my manifolds as they looked good and worked properly. I have a few more pics that's shows some of the manifold flanges but not much. Which ones do you need to know about specific? I might be able to get some pics for you tonight. 

Hey,

Thanks for that link.  The color on my intake manifold matches the color they show for 1930 to 1939 engines.  So possibly those manifolds are off an earlier engine, '30 to '39!  The Hirsch paint color they sent me does match the years 1940 through '54.  But other vintage Pontiac's have engine paint color variations.

I do have some extra parts from the donor car that I would be willing to sell...  

Chris

33 minutes ago, deac said:

Hey,

Thanks for that link.  The color on my intake manifold matches the color they show for 1930 to 1939 engines.  So possibly those manifolds are off an earlier engine, '30 to '39!  The Hirsch paint color they sent me does match the years 1940 through '54.  But other vintage Pontiac's have engine paint color variations.

I do have some extra parts from the donor car that I would be willing to sell...  

Chris

Good, hope it helps you out in your quest. 

Hmmmm, I do possibly need a few pieces. I'm not sure if I still have pics of that car any more or not. I'll have to check.