Start Engine outside

Yamil Charif

People! I’m trying to start the engine before I drop it in. I don’t have a wire diagram that I could understand well... since I’m not an expert, I rather ask for help than be sorry, picture attached, where should I connect my + and + on this beautiful thing. 

36FFB64F-68EC-4C0E-87B5-BE258ABE1C84.jpeg

You need to clean up the ignition parts that look corroded or it might not run.  And you'll need to wire up the battery and the dropping resistors for the coil as well as connecting the radiator if you run it very long.  And without gauges it's dangerous running it out of the vehicle.  Make sure you have oil in the crankcase.  Having an engine on a stand is paramount if it's out of the vehicle.  You might want to get the assistance of a knowledgeable mechanic familiar with to check out this engine.  Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Ray500 said:

You need to clean up the ignition parts that look corroded or it might not run.  And you'll need to wire up the battery and the dropping resistors for the coil as well as connecting the radiator if you run it very long.  And without gauges it's dangerous running it out of the vehicle.  Make sure you have oil in the crankcase.  Having an engine on a stand is paramount if it's out of the vehicle.  You might want to get the assistance of a knowledgeable mechanic familiar with to check out this engine.  Good Luck!

Thanks, I’m waiting for a mechanic to help out, I was just wondering and learning. Thanks! ??

It looks like those two ignition coil wires are conected to the capacitors. This will short the battery voltage to ground thru the points. The wires need to be terminated under the knurled nuts. The dropping resistors could be connected at the knuuled nuts in this [engine out of car] "start up" situation.  

There are wires from the Overdrive if vehicle has one to short out the ignition while the overdrive shifts.  Otherwise the actual ignition wires from the resistors under the dash provide voltage to the coil and distributor.  The entire distributor is critical, and from the looks of your unit it appears it's old an somewhat corroded. It will need a cleanup and probably a re-calibration of the distributor as well as a rebuilt coil from Skip Haney in Florida if it's to perform properly.  We've all been through this problem on V12s.  And new capacitors to be sure!